'Lush' displays UNM alumni artwork

"LUSH", a diverse and spectacular showcase of local artists and UNM alumni, will be on display through July 27 in the Manuel Lujan Fine Arts Building at the New Mexico State Fairgrounds.

Displaying the work of 10 local artists, LUSH focuses primarily on paintings, though there are sculptures, photography and an art installation as well.

One of the most interesting displays is David Ondrik's installation - Ondrik is one of five UNM alumni whose work is presented.

In a room designated for this installation alone, Ondrik set up projectors and a stereo that pushes ambient whispering sounds through the space. On the wall across from the projectors, are screens designed to catch fleeting abstract images and small, old photographs held up by a string. Hard to describe in words, it is definitely one of the most noteworthy exhibits.

David Bach's photography is another highlight, capturing the complex human elements in everyday life, particularly in his photos of a band that revolved around the drummer.

On the other end of the photographic spectrum is Becky Holtzman, whose photos are transposed over what looks like old x-ray sheets. Holtzman's work is much more abstract, and a few of the photos focus on the moon's lunar cycle. Both are excellent displays of the power and artistry of photography.

Lorna Smith's work focuses on Celtic designs patterned onto cloth. The pieces are simple, but not simplistic and many of the people at the show's opening studied them extensively.

According to a press release, Carrie McChesney's sculptures relate to "themes of expression, immanence and transcendence." Her work is intricate, focusing on the combination of everyday objects and figures sprung from her imagination.

UNM alumnus Rebecca Salazar's work is the most striking in the exhibit. She created a series of seven paintings, "The Seven Sins," each of which is the portrait of a person illustrating one of the seven deadly sins.

Salazar also has bigger paintings, which encompassed much emotion in their large formats. Salazar has picked up quite a knack for conveying emotions through her brush and her messages come across clearly and as easy to relate to. The colors are often muted, interacting well with the feelings conveyed. While her figures all have a similar roundness, this doesn't detract from the overall quality of her exposition.

"LUSH" is a great show that highlights some of the quality artwork that comes from Albuquerque and UNM.

Gallery hours are Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Admission is free. For private viewings call 766-9178 to make arrangements.