Musician shares publicity tips

Outpost's Tom Guralnick presents free workshop

Longtime supporter of the arts and experienced jazz performer Tom Guralnick knows what it's like for fresh performers to create press for themselves on small budgets.

Guralnick, founder and executive director of the Outpost Performance Space, has created a workshop to give do-it-yourself publicity information to local musicians, dancers and artists.

The event is free of charge and part of Guralnick's mission to support up-and-coming artists as well as old favorites. He will be the primary presenter at the workshop Saturday at the Outpost.

The workshop is for aspiring artists who don't know how to make press packets, public service announcements or how to contact local media. Guralnick will use a variety of press packets he has received over the years, along with his previous personal promotion materials, as examples. He will discuss what kinds of tactics work and what do not, as well as "the appropriateness of displaying who you are."

Creating press packets and self-marketing on a tight budget will also be addressed. The workshop is an opportunity for inexperienced artists to ask questions and discuss concerns with a seasoned professional.

Guralnick anticipates a good dialogue between himself and the audience.

"I am going to give this presentation, but I am looking for other people's input as well," he said.

Guralnick and other volunteers at the Outpost have been running the non-profit organization since its beginnings in 1988 at a tiny space on Morningside Drive. Over the years, organizers have brought a varied mix of performances from all over the world to Albuquerque.

Much of the Outpost's success is due to the first-hand experience of Guralnick who toured Europe, Australia, Canada and much of the United States in an experimental jazz ensemble.

"An avante garde jazz trio is a rarified field, but at one point, I had some sort of a career," he said.

With such a diverse background, Guralnick created the Outpost to provide a home for audiences to experience cutting-edge performances and unique ensembles in a respectful environment, he said.

The publicity workshop will be geared toward helping new artists understand the industry and thrive.

The workshop starts at 11 a.m. and the Outpost Performance Space is at 210 Yale Blvd.