Artists team up with mentors

After fighting for a space in the newly renovated SUB, the Art Student Association will celebrate its victory at the grand reopening of the ASA Student Gallery tomorrow night.

The ASA Gallery is a student-run art gallery, which provides space for UNM students to exhibit their artwork in a professional and academic environment. The association has been chartered for 25 years and is one of the longest standing organizations at the University.

In an exhibit titled "Mentor's Alchemy," the ASA Gallery will showcase the works of eight mentor/protÇgÇ duos working in a variety of media, including sculpture, metalwork and photography.

Sage Paisner, a junior in the Art department's photography program, is this year's curator and the association's director.

"Throughout art history, mentors have made a great impact on their students," Paisner said in a news release. "In turn, students pass on the lessons to others, continuing the cycle of creative inquiry."

In an interview, Paisner discussed his inspiration for the show's title.

"I felt that in the last 20 years, the influence of mentors has been kind of a dying thing," he said. "My mom, who has been my personal mentor throughout the years, has given me invaluable information regarding the creation of art, just as mentors should pass along traits to their students. The alchemy part just sort of popped out because many of the artists featured in the show deal with the manipulation of light, sand, metal and glass."

Paisner said the mentors' students can be metaphorically viewed as the products of the alchemic process.

"The students are the gold, so to say, in that they will pass on the knowledge they receive from their mentors to future generations."

Among the mentor/protÇgÇe teams represented in the exhibit is Christine McHorse, working with micaceous clay and her son Joel McHorse, who creates ceramic sculpture with silver ornamental work.

Professor of photography Patrick Nagatani is mentor to Todd Anderson, who will exhibit print work.

Husband-and-wife team Rebecca and Duwayne Blankley - she's the protÇgÇ and he's the mentor - will present metalwork. Rebecca is a UNM faculty member. Duwayne will display the front half of a 4 foot by 4 foot Volvo that has been molded into art.

Mentor Jocelyn Nevil and protÇgÇe Matt Brackbill created a site-specific art piece, which will be in the stairwell next to the ASA Gallery. Their work will be featured in the closing reception Dec. 12 during the exhibit's final weekend.

"I thought it would be great to show the effects mentors can have on a protÇgÇe," Paisner said.

Many of the artists serving as mentors in the show are internationally know, and Paisner said this is a major reason students should check out the show.

"It's not often that we can see such great artists - both up-and-coming and internationally renowned - for free," Paisner said. "ASA has been working hard to put this and other shows together and to give everyone an opportunity to experience new and engaging artwork."

The What, When and Where

Who: 'Mentor's Alchemy'

When: Friday, 6-8 p.m.

Price: Free

Where: ASA Student Gallery

Lower Level of the SUB

Tickets and info: 277-1241