Family, Chi Omega mourn death of student

Memorial fund in remembrance of Kristin Griego to benefit sorority, RRHS

Even in death, some people continue to do the things that made them stand out while they were alive.

Kristin Griego is one of those people.

The 19-year-old UNM sophomore died on Friday at her family's home in Rio Rancho from what loved ones suspect was a diabetic seizure.

"She was fun-loving," said Martha Griego, Kristin's mother. "She was always the one who would go out of her way to do anything for anyone."

Kristin's official cause of death is pending the release of autopsy results by the state's Office of the Medical Inspector.

Others who knew Kristin said she was unselfish, caring and would often help others simply for the deed of doing something good.

Although she is gone, Kristin's mother said her daughter is remembering those who meant so much to her life.

In lieu of flowers, mourners are asked to make contributions to the Kristin Griego Memorial Fund at any Bank of America. Proceeds from the fund will not only help pay for the cost of funeral expenses, but they will also go to the Rio Rancho softball team and Chi Omega sorority, of which Kristin was a member.

"She was the kind of kid who would go out of her way to do nice things for you without ever asking," said Paul Kohman, Rio Rancho high school softball coach.

Kristin was a four-year varsity player for the high school's softball team. Kohman said he coached Kristin for about 450 games - including ones played for a traveling club team, the Sundancers.

"Kristin was a very hard working player," Kohman said. "She was definitely an above average player. How many other people do you know that in a time like this, are thinking about others rather than of themselves?"

The memorial fund will give money to the softball team and will also establish a scholarship for young women who want to join Chi Omega but cannot afford the sorority's fees.

Amy Cook, president of Chi Omega, said Kristin was always "very giving to others" and the fund established in her name keeps with that notion.

Chi Omega organized a private memorial service in Kristin's honor on Monday.

Kristin was in her third semester and was majoring in biology. Her mother said she wanted to be a doctor.

"She loved her classes at UNM. Especially biology," she said.

While a student at Rio Rancho, Kristin helped found a club dedicated to helping young students who are interested in becoming professionals in the medical field.

Martha Griego said her daughter was diabetic and suffered from a condition called chronic pancreatitis, a persistent inflammation of the pancreas.

Kristin was in the hospital for a month during the summer and had to withdraw from a couple of classes this semester because of her health, her mother said.

There will be a celebration of Kristin's life tonight at 8 p.m. at Rio Rancho high school.

Visitation will take place from 3:30 to 6 p.m. today at Vista Verde Mortuary, 4310 Sara Rd. SE in Rio Rancho.

Mass will be at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish, 1502 Sara Rd. SE, Rio Rancho.