Insults hide behind anonymity

one and a half stars

There is nothing more pathetic than a performer who insults people while remaining in comfortable anonymity behind a toy puppet dog.

The only thing that could be sadder is a CD featuring that toy puppet dog.

Triumph the insult comic dog, the popular character from "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," has just released a comedy CD/DVD, Come Poop With Me.

Triumph breaks out from inside the idiot-box he has been trapped in since 1999 and works with more freedom away from the general public, allowing him to be as dirty and pornographic as possible.

The puppet's trademark is to deliver laughs and affronts without any consequences because hey, you can get away with a lot when you're just a puppet.

Triumph is voiced by master comedic writer Robert Smigel, creator of "TV Funhouse" and "The Ambiguously Gay Duo" from "Saturday Night Live."

Come Poop With Me is a mix of studio tracks, live recordings from various comedy clubs and prank telephone calls that would make even the dirtiest dog look abashed.

With contributions by hugely popular funnymen like Adam Sandler, Jack Black, SNL's Horatio Sanz and O'Brien, one would think the album would be hysterical. This is only the case if you can stomach some atrociously vulgar lyrics. Triumph himself might admit this CD poops on the normal boundaries of taste.

Tracks like "Underage Bichon," "Benji's Queer" and the genuinely funny "I Keed" make the album great for fans of Triumph. The duo with Black on the rock/rap studio track "Bob Barker" is also worth mentioning. If the comedy on the rest of the CD were similar, Come Poop With Me would be a great buy, especially because it features a DVD with an hour of footage.

But if you like comedy enough to purchase entire albums of it, play it safe and stick with legends like Sandler, Bill Cosby or Weird Al Yankovic - not nasty toy puppet dogs.