City samples fine musical talents

"Come and meet those dancing feet. At the avenue I'm taking you to: 42nd Street," sings the cast of "42nd Street" in the show's title song.

Since its opening in Kansas in July 2002, audiences all over the nation have met and loved the feet of Broadway Across America's rendition of "42nd Street."

The Broadway revival of the 1933 classic won a Tony Award in 2001 for Best Musical Revival and has been on the road ever since, bringing a taste of Broadway's special brand of glitz and glamour to viewers all over the country.

"Hear the beat of dancing feet. It's the song I love, the melody of 42nd Street," sings the chorus line. Choreographer Randy Skinner directs more than 50 cast members into perfect unison for 11 ensemble dance numbers. Every ensemble member taps with perfect rhythm, shuffles with a smile and personifies Broadway pizzazz.

The show's leading roles are filled with performers of a high caliber. Daren Kelly, a musical veteran, is scene-stealing as the tempestuous director, Julian Marsh. In "42nd Street" Marsh's career and reputation depends on the success of his upcoming production "Pretty Lady." Kelly's powerful voice energizes the stage with booming, heated dialogue in comedic scenes. A more mellow side of the character - and a more talented side of the performer - is later presented as Kelly sings the Broadway hit "Lullaby of Broadway" and a reprise to "42nd Street."

Newcomer Shannon O'Bryan claims the role of leading lady after a case of life-imitating art. Like O'Bryan's character Peggy Sawyer - who saves the production by performing the leading role after a musical legend is injured on-stage - O'Bryan was also plucked from the obscurity of the chorus line to shine in the spotlight.

After O'Bryan's talent was spotted in the Russian production of "42nd Street," her tapping-tootsies traveled all the way across the Atlantic Ocean to star in the Broadway production.

Costumes add extra sparkle to an already glittery production. Solid dance numbers like the classic "We're in the Money" are enhanced with sequin-studded bikinis for the chorus girls, who proceed to shake like almost no other women can shake while so scantily clad.

The beautiful chorus girls are motivation enough for many theatergoers, as is articulated in the song "Dames:"

"Who writes the music for all the girly shows? No one cares, and no one knows. Who is the handsome hero some villain always frames? But who cares if there's a plot or not when they've got a lot of dames!"

Less superficial audience members will appreciate the performance for other than aesthetic reasons: the rhythmic talent, melodic voices and powerful orchestra would please even the most critical musical connoisseur.

"Where the underworld can meet the elite: 42nd Street," the chorus line sings in the finale. Albuquerque is the latest stop on the tour schedule; the production took the stage on Popejoy Hall Monday night and will continue through Saturday.

For the cast and crew, Albuquerque may be just another stop on the program. But to Albuquerque, Broadway Across America provides a theatrical experience of the highest caliber and a sample of America's finest musical talents - talents Albuquerque residents might else not have the chance to see.

The What, When and Where

What: '42nd Street'

When: Tonight 7:30 p.m., Tomorrow 8 p.m., Saturday 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., Sunday 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Price: $53, $45, $35

Where: Popejoy Hall

Tickets and info: 277-3824

tickets.com