Play mixes heartbreak, humor

For those who need a good laugh or a good date this Valentine's Day, "Sleep With Me!" promises these and much more.

"Sleep With Me!" was written by Susan Erickson, a UNM and TVI instructor, and directed by Allison Davis, who has directed 16 previous plays at the Vortex. This, however, is her first play in eight years. As usual, the actors in this Vortex play have a long tradition with UNM, and some are full-time students.

The play follows the lives of an older married couple, Roxanne and Elliot Blumberg (Catherine Haun and Bill Sterchi), and their teenage son, Dilly (Daniel Ingram).

The Blumberg clan's lives are thrown into a hilarious mix of heartbreak and comedy when Roxanne hooks up with a youthful, paranoid FBI agent, Brady Burton (Ross Kelly), who believes he is in the bureau for quite an odd purpose - decoding secret messages hidden in Janet Jackson posters.

In a desperate attempt to retaliate, Elliot brings home a Russian Internet bride named Dagmara Bortinskova (Tara Brinduse). What can possibly come out of this situation, especially for young Dilly?

Ingram said he played Dilly as though he was roughly 16 years of age, and credits him as the peacekeeper of the family. When he makes the decision to act in a drastic manner, it results in the second act taking place in the middle of a haunted desert. Here the whole crew sets up a situation that takes the audience through many laughs over the course of its conclusion.

All of the characters showed an intense commitment to this play and seemed to hold a similar attitude when it came to working with Erickson, the writer.

"Working with (Susan) has been excellent," Ingram said. "She's really talented, and she needs to be recognized."

He also said while she may be shy about the recognition of her works, the people who perform them have nothing but kind words and hope she gets the credit she deserves.

What: "Sleep With Me!"

When: Friday through March 7.

Fridays and Saturdays 8 p.m.,Sundays 6 p.m.

Where: Vortex Theatre

2004 1/2 Central Ave.

How

much: $8 students, $10 general admission, $7 Sundays

Tickets

& Info: 247-8600