Unique band's EP mediocre

Grade: C+

Most bands entertain. A few bands educate. Only a minute number do both.

It would seem that Arizona-based George Squier Orchestra is in the minority. The band took its name from the man who invented the U.S. Air Force, Muzak and wired signal multiplexing, the technology that allows multiple signals to be transmitted through a single phone line. The five-piece orchestra is made up of lead vocalist and guitarist Nathan Hendler, drummer Bonnie Ritter, Melinda Ritter on bass, Johan Von Sweeden on guitar and Monte Workman handling the synthesizer and accordion. Members play the kind of quirky, bizarre and intriguing pop that would make even a stiff like the real Gen. Squier tap his 18th-century toe bones - at least for a little while.

The best thing about the self-titled EP from George Squier Orchestra is either it's length, which is blissfully short and to the point, or the sometimes infectious - yet somewhat annoying - pop sensibilities. Combining synthesizers, funky distorted guitar riffs, a slightly offbeat sense of vocal timing with a pop-lounge blend, GSO creates a fun but awkward sound.

The album starts off strong with the catchy tunes "Clara Rockmore" and "Donnies Dirge," which are both bouncy and almost infectious in their originality. The third song, "Rockin' Nagasaki," is another eccentric tune that is reminiscent of Japanese girl group the 5, 6, 7, 8s. The final song, "Jubilee," is an instrumental that is anything but festive and would make any party a real bummer.

While not for everyone, GSO's self-titled EP is unique enough to keep a listener's attention through the four songs, but won't leave many wanting much more than that. Maybe this review isn't a fair assessment of the band, but anyone curious about the odd style of GSO will have the opportunity to check them out Friday at Burt's Tiki Lounge.

What: George Squier Orchestra

When: Friday at 10 p.m.

Where: Burt's Tiki Lounge 313 Gold Ave.

Price: Free