Debate tourney recruits for UNM

Ten members of the Speech and Debate Society brought hundreds of high school students to UNM Friday and Saturday.

Mario Herrera, one of the organizers of the 4th annual Speech and Debate tournament, said it's the biggest event the group puts on and the largest high school tourney in the state.

High school students from across the nation debated current events and national policy issues and performed dramatic or humorous skits for volunteer judges.

Herrera said there were two processes by which competitors were selected to participate in the tournament.

An invitation is extended to all members of debate teams, making everyone eligible to participate in the Lobo Howl portion, he said. Others must apply to compete.

Herrera said those who apply are selected based on past tournament performance and overall record.

Open to the public, the tournament depends on local volunteers - mainly students, faculty and UNM community members - who judge the competition.

Walter Martinez volunteered to judge competitors in the two-day tournament. He said it's the responsibility of all University-area residents to become active in events sponsored by UNM.

"I wanted to do it, because the community here has a stake in the college and our young people," he said. "I want them to know we care about their talents and that their opinions matter, too."

Herrera said judges at the tournament maintained a professional attitude.

"They take their jobs very seriously," he said.

Martinez said it was especially difficult, because none of the debaters did poorly.

"When they're all so good at what they do, it's hard to pick the best," he said.

Top competitors received plaques and engraved medals. Team awards and awards for school spirit and achievement in character were also given out.

Florida High School senior Michelle Wagner said she enjoyed the time she spent on the UNM campus.

"I'm not from this area," she said. "I might not have had the chance to come here if it wasn't for the debate tournament."

Herrera said one goal of the tournament is to bring the country's best scholars to the UNM campus.

"These students are the cream of the crop," he said. "They excel at what they do."

Participants have the ability to stir debate and provoke thought, he said.

"The University's volunteers, all the students and our judges were all fair and were all really great," Wagner said. "I had a good time. I'd definitely like coming here to New Mexico for college."