Moore breaks rushing record

by Kristie Boudwin

Daily Lobo

Despite quarterback Kole McKamey assuming the role of primary rusher, tailback DonTrell Moore managed to muster up enough yards to break the UNM career rushing record against New Mexico State University on Saturday.

A record crowd cheered for Moore as he stepped into the UNM record books, but he may have been one of the only people in the stadium who did not know he did it.

"It was the heat of the battle and they announced it right in the middle of a play," Moore said. "I was just trying to focus on the call."

Going into the intrastate rivalry, Moore was just 55 yards short of the all-time rushing record.

Head coach Rocky Long said it was a record he knew Moore would break, he was just happy that Moore could do it against NMSU.

"He is a New Mexico kid at the University of New Mexico and he breaks the all-time record against New Mexico State," Long said. "How does it get better than that?"

Saturday night was Moore's 20th game exceeding 100 yards. His career total stands at 3,928 yards, which is also the Mountain West Conference record.

The senior tailback said he attributes much of his rushing success to the outstanding offensive line.

"They work their tails off every day to give me the opportunity, and I am just thankful that I am able to run behind some great guys," Moore said.

He rushed for 120 yards against the Aggies.

Moore gained the yards through short rushing attempts in contrast to his signature explosive rushing the past three seasons. He averaged five yards per carry, with his longest run going for only 12 yards.

Moore said he is not sure what opposing defenses are doing differently this season to contain the running game.

"We have had great success in the passing game," Moore said. "Maybe things have changed. I think they have to respect more things because we can pass the ball a lot better."

Long said the offensive success came through rushing yards in this gamwe because the Aggies' defense made sure receiver Hank Baskett was never one-on-one. Baskett finished the game with just 58 yards, 151 yards less than last week's victory over Missouri.

"DonTrell had a real good night," Long said. "If they want to come in here and stop DonTrell, then Hank's going to have another big night."

McKamey took advantage of rushing opportunities and finished the game with 172 yards on the ground. Moore said McKamey's rushing success is a great option when the defense comes down on the tailback.

"I think it's another weapon we have, and I hope we can continue to do it," Moore said. "Kole allows us to be very versatile on offense."

Moore said he is somewhat pleased with his personal performance this season, but is happier with how the team has played. He said he wants to get to the point where the offense can consistently rely on him to run the ball well.

"I am more pleased that we are 3-0 and that we have a lot of momentum," he said. "We are starting to look like a good offensive football team. Hopefully things will just get better."