Boulder Acoustic Society will perform Friday at the El Rey Theater.

Eclectic bands find common chord

The psychedelic rock bands Boulder Acoustic Society, Aladocious and Liquid Gypsy are out to throw their audiences for a loop with their eclectic styles of music.

Ranging from folk to swamp rock to hip-hop, the bands approach music with an open mind.

Although none of these bands have met each other, they said they're excited to play together Friday at El Rey Theater.

"I think that they are bringing all of our bands together in order to support a jam band-oriented scene," said Chuck Hawley, Aladocious' lead guitar and trombone player. "We are really excited to see how all of our bands match up and differ from each other. Everybody is bringing their own vibe, their own flavor."

Besides their diverse styles of music, the three bands vary widely in age and background. Liquid Gypsy, a band made up of 60-year-old hippies from all around New Mexico, has a different feel than Boulder Acoustic Society, a younger band that formed in Boulder, Colo., with musicians from all over the world.

"Our band started out playing at a living room party in 1998," said Scott Bruggeman, Liquid Gypsy's keyboard player. "It all started with a few chords and some improvisation. After a while, we brought a microphone into the scene and started writing songs. Ever since then, the evolution of our band has been absolutely crazy."

Kailin Yong, violinist for the Boulder Acoustic Society, said his band has also seen some major changes in its style of music over the years.

"All of us came from different backgrounds," he said. "We met each other on the streets in Boulder and, slowly but surely, started to find our own eclectic style. We are a very musically curious group, very open-minded and unafraid of letting the world know who we are."

Kevin "Kookie" Jones, Aladocious' lead vocalist, said that even though the base of his band's music tends to be funky, the members always keep their ears open for new sounds.

"We like to try a little bit of everything," he said. "When I first started making music eight years ago, I was part of a band called Penny. We did all sorts of ska and hip-hop music back then. I definitely want to start incorporating some of my old stuff with our new material."

While Boulder Acoustic Society and Liquid Gypsy are busy working on new albums, Aladocious is producing its first album, called Which Way to Utopia? Boulder Acoustic Society came out with its fourth album about five months ago, called Caged Bird.

"Every one of our albums sounds different," Yong said. "Our music has been inspired by so many weird people and their experiences. We are never neglecting influences. Until the universe tells us to stop playing and move on, we plan on spreading peace and joy through our music for as long as we can."

Their sound has reached a variety of people.

"We have played in front of so many different crowds, all of which helped shape our styles," Yong said. "Our audiences vary from punks with blue hair to hipsters to freaky nerds. We know we can't appeal to everybody, but we are who are."