Luis Powell, left, and Stephen "HaHa" Hunt at Satellite Coffee on Wednesday.

Feeling sick? Just laugh it off

"I used to be terminally serious," Stephen Hunt said of himself before he found the healing benefits of laughter.

Hunt said he teamed up with the Tavern to help people lighten up and laugh.

Every Monday night in April, the Tavern, at 4007 Menaul Blvd. N.E., will hold a free open-mic night for comics and community members with doors opening at 7 p.m. and the show at 8 p.m. There's free pizza.

"The economy is bad, and people don't have the money to spend $33 to go see Lewis Black at the casino," Hunt said. "Do you realize how much ramen you can buy with $33? It gives the community a free therapeutic experience enjoying comedy, but it also gives the comics a chance to come out and perform in a no-pressure zone."

Comedian Luis Powell, who participates in the open-mic night, said it's a good way for budding comics to break into the scene.

"It's a really good spot for guys to come and do comedy," Powell said. "Even if they haven't done any comedy, they should come and try it out."

Hunt said he realized how important laughter was at an international humor and health convention in 1997.

"It was mostly nurses and doctors and health care professionals that are interested in humor and health," Hunt said. "I heard a quote by Alan Alda that said, 'When people are laughing, they aren't killing each other.' There were 500 people in the room, but for me, it changed my life because a light came on in my head and I said, 'Hey, why aren't we laughing more?'"

Hunt said he wants to bring the healing powers of laughter to the Albuquerque community.

"I had to learn to lighten up. I was always a clown, but when it came to certain things, I was very uptight," Hunt said. "And stress is related to 75 to 90 percent of all disease, and laughter is a great way to deal with stress. It improves your metabolism. It improves your endorphin levels."

Powell said he found his love of comedy in Albuquerque five years ago and hopes the events at the Tavern will help other comics get noticed.

"I tried it at this little spot where they let me go up between acoustic shows, so I got a nice little chance to do some comedy," Powell said. "I did it, and they liked it. And ever since, I have been hooked."

Hunt also operates a Web site, ChurchOfHaha.org, which has a calendar of comedy events and information about comics in Albuquerque.

"HAHA is an acronym I gave myself. Contrary to what some may say, it's not the sound people make when they see me naked," Hunt said. "It actually stands for Humor Appreciation and Healthy Application."

He said comedy is a winter sport in Albuquerque, so he has committed to hosting the shows through April. Attendance will determine if it continues thereafter.

Open-mic night

Mondays, 8 p.m.

The Tavern

4007 Menaul Blvd. N.E.

Drink specials and free pizza at 7 p.m.