Nate Boitano, left, Kevin Herig, center, and Heath Warren from Asper Kourt on Monday near the SUB. Two members not present are Kurt Sorenson and Matt Beston. Asper Kourt won UNM's Battle of the Bands on Saturday.

Band wins big with eclectic style

It was the right combination of a "rock song, a chill song, a pop song and an ill song" that earned Asper Kourt the crown in Saturday's battle of the bands, the band's guitarist said.

Nate Boitano, a UNM student, said the band's rock/folk sound gave the band an edge over the competition.

"Everyone else there was hard rock, and it kind of blasted everyone away," Boitano said. "I think our music is more laid-back."

As a prize for winning, Asper Kourt earned a spot at the Fiestas, a concert on Johnson Field on April 25.

"We are going to be the only Albuquerque band playing with five or six nationally signed bands," singer Kevin Herig said.

Herig said the competition gave the band members a chance to showcase what they have been working on.

"We just got our CD up on iTunes," Herig said. "It's called 'Changing Times,' and it is technically an EP. We are going to release it to the public on April 4 at Kelly's Pub."

Drummer Heath Warren said that when the members recorded the EP in December, it helped them perfect their performing.

"Since December, our band has definitely come a long way," Warren said. "Being able to hear yourself and the instruments, you really get to hear what sounds good."

Boitano said Albuquerque is full of good networking opportunities for bands.

"Leah Black from 93.3 got us the booking for a Thunderbirds show," Boitano said. "Between all of us, we know a bunch of people that help us get shows, and that is probably what got us to where we are today."

Warren said the band's music is hard to characterize because it includes styles such as pop, rock and folk.

"For us, I think Battle of the Bands was the perfect lineup to showcase our ability, really, because all four songs were totally different," Warren said. "I think that is a good reflection to how open-minded we are toward the music we take in and listen to and enjoy."

Herig said the band had to play lots of shows to save the $2,000 needed to record their EP.

"It took us pretty much all summer to save up money, and we made a band account and just kept putting money into that," Herig said. "We need to set big goals, and I think we are all in it for the long run. It starts right now with networking and getting a bigger fan base and getting new shows."

Herig said the band is reaching out to fans by putting its music on popular downloading sites.

"We are going through a company called Sonicbids," Herig said. "We pay $5 a month, and they upload our songs onto sites like iTunes and Rhapsody, Amazon MP3."

Warren said the Battle of the Bands gave Asper Kourt an opportunity to enjoy the music of other local bands such as Zagadka and Made in Bangledesh.

"Some of the bands we played with on Saturday, we have played with before, and we have gotten to respect their music more and gain more musical relations," Warren said.

The band members said they enjoy playing all-ages shows because it offers people under 21 something to do on a night out.

"We have played the Launchpad a couple times, and they are fun shows usually, but I think our fan base is probably 15 to 21-years-old," Boitano said.

Asper Kourt EP Release

Saturday, 7 p.m.

Kelly's Brew Pub (3222 Central Ave.)

All ages, Free