Galen Billings / Freshman / Undecided

Galen Billings / Freshman / Undecided

Daily Lobo Spotlight

Galen Billings / Freshman / Undecided

Daily Lobo: What do you study?
Galen Billings: I’m a freshman, man. I haven’t really gone in any direction right now, but I’m thinking journalism.
DL: I’m studying journalism myself. So what do you like best about the University?
GB: The location. It’s really convenient for me. I mean, born in Albuquerque, been here the whole time, figured I might as well stay here. Plus, we got a really, really good faculty from what I’ve seen so far.
DL: What kind of music do you like?
GB: I’m an old punk rocker, man, I mean, Bad Religion (and) Rancid. A lot of the old bands, you just don’t see any more. I really appreciate punk rock myself.
DL: What’s the most exciting thing you’ve done this semester?
GB: I think this semester the most exciting thing I’ve managed to do is not die while driving 90 down the interstate trying to get to school on time.
DL: How often do you do that?
GB: Once a week — it’s too much.
DL: Do you like to travel?
GB: Oh yeah, a fair bit. I’ve got a lot of family spread out across several chunks of the world, so I tend to see them a lot.
DL: Have you ever traveled outside the country?
GB: Oh, most definitely. Biggest chunk of the family’s up in Scotland, so I went and saw them over the summer. We’ve got a large chunk of the family out in Russia. I’m going to go see them over Christmas break.
DL: That’s cool. Where in Scotland?
GB: We’re a big Glasgow family.
DL: Oh, I have some friends in Glasgow and in Edinburgh.
GB: (in Scottish accent) Edinburgh! You’ve got to speak with the brogue, lad! If you don’t speak with the brogue, you’re not a Scot!
DL: What parts of the Scottish culture do you think you represent the most?
GB: Well let’s see… My grandfather would hit me if I didn’t say ‘strong work ethic,’ but that’s a lie… Probably just trying to be as outgoing as possible man. I mean, it doesn’t matter if you’ve had a shit day, you should try to get along with folks, right?