Anderson students create advertising campaign for FBI

A UNM class is making advertisements for the FBI.

Advertising Campaigns 490, a class offered in the Anderson School of Management, operates a marketing organization called Nvent Marketing Partnership. They have been creating a series of ads this semester for the FBI. Last year, the class made ads for the CIA, said Daniel Begay, an Nvent spokesman.

The FBI is on campus today to recruit students. Nvent is hosting the event, Begay said. He said the class is also creating television advertisements for the FBI.

“There are going to be TV spots on pretty well-known channels like VH1, MTV — big channels like that,” he said.

The class met on Saturday to work on a TV spot for the FBI, Dylan Manzanares said.
“The point of the video is to show how many diverse careers the FBI offers,” he said. “So we’ll be dressing up in lab coats, and this and that, looking at graphs, the whole nine yards.”

According to Nvent’s description on the UNM Web site, Nvent is a “a fully functional student-run marketing communications agency … with the purpose of developing, implementing and evaluating peer-to-peer integrated marketing communications campaigns.”

Manzanares, who is in the Advertising Campaigns 490 class, said he and fellow students have been working all semester to create effective advertisements.
“It’s sort of an involved, difficult class — probably the most involved class I’m taking,” he said.

Manzanares said clients such as Subaru and Cadillac have contracted the class to make ads in the past. He said the clients work closely with the students to create ad campaigns.

“The clients have come to work with the Anderson School students and create this full-scale advertising campaign for them at the close of the semester,” he said.
Manzanares said the class has one client per semester, and the decision to make a campaign for the FBI was made more or less at random by the class’s instructors.
“It’s sort of like a lottery, I guess,” he said. “We didn’t really pick it. They sort of just gave it to us.”

*FBI recruitment seminar
Today
SUB, Lobo A & B
conference room
9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
2 p.m. – 3 p.m.*