How Albuquerque is helping Haiti

The Haitian government is bracing for an estimated 200,000 deaths, and organizations like the Red Cross, Partners in Health and Doctors without Borders are in Haiti providing limited aid. Here is a list of ways to donate money and goods to the estimated 3 million people affected by the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Haiti on Jan. 12:

A group of University of New Mexico faculty will read works of Haitian literature as part of a faculty read-in to raise money and awareness. The read-in will happen Wednesday, Jan. 20 through Friday, Jan. 22 from noon-1 p.m. at the modern art sculpture area, south of the Student Union Building on UNM main campus. Donations to the Red Cross will be accepted during the read-in.

The ASUNM Community Experience is accepting monetary donations on behalf of the Red Cross to help victims of the earthquake in Haiti. Community Experience members will place buckets for donations at all on-campus eateries (the Sub, La Posada, etc.). Also, UNM students, faculty and staff may take their donations to the Community Experience Office in the lower level of the SUB.

The Albuquerque Center for Peace and Justice is hosting “Fill the Bus/Haiti or Bust,” where they are accepting donations of non-perishable foods and other essentials to be delivered to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti’s capital. Donors are asked to place their goods inside a bus parked outside the center on Jan. 23 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., and make a donation of $5 or $10.