It's good form to fill out the Census

UNM students will soon have the chance to influence how the federal government doles out billions of dollars.
The U.S. Census is being sent out across the country and determines how federal money is allocated, said Veronica Reyes, New Mexico media specialist for the Census Bureau. The Census is conducted once every 10 years.

“It is very, very important because it determines how the federal government distributes $400 billion,” she said. “We need to be sure to fill out our census so we get our share of the funds.”

Reyes said the census forms will be sent to students at their current residences, not their parents’ houses. Students who live on campus will receive the census forms in their dorm mailboxes.

“We’re letting everybody know that since they’re using community services in the area where they go to school, they need to be counted there,” she said.

Reyes said the forms come with a self-addressed, prepaid envelope, and students should return their census forms before April 1. A sample Census form has 10 questions.

“The questions this time are very easy. They’re very simple,” Reyes said.
Student Amanda Johnson said she’s never filled out a census before, but thinks it’s important to secure
government funds for New Mexico.

“It would be nice to be a part of it and help money go to things that need it,” she said. “This is such a cultural state, and we’re cutting things that we shouldn’t be.”

Reyes said the Census Bureau had an information booth on campus last week, and there will be another one this week. The Census Bureau will be distributing information in the lower level of the SUB.

Reyes said people who don’t fill out the census may face a fine, but the Census Bureau in New Mexico may choose not to enforce it.
“There is a fine if you don’t fill it out, but we don’t like to pursue that, and I’m not even sure they enforce it,” she said. “We like it more for the community to fill out the forms because they know the benefits.”

Reyes said there are more benefits to filling out the census form than acquiring federal money.

“It’s also politically important … it affects how many representatives we have in Congress, and at the local level, how the district boundaries are drawn,” she said.

Students may not realize how important the census is, Reyes said.

“A lot of times we don’t think how counting everybody affects us,” she said. “But (if people don’t fill out their census) that’s going to be money that doesn’t come to our community for the next 10 years.”

*Census Bureau Information Booth
Today
SUB lower level
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.*