Democratic Party: Students can fit in

Though politics can make some red-hot with frustration, the Democratic Party of New Mexico wants to show UNM students why it can be cool to go blue.

The DPNM will host Campaign Blue today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m in Smith Plaza. The event aims to show students how they can get politically involved ahead of the June 1 primary elections.

Angie Poss, co-organizer of the event, said students don’t often participate in politics, so she wanted to have an event that could show students how to get involved, either by voting or signing up to volunteer.

“Students can often become the most passive group to the political system,” she said. “If they don’t pay attention, they won’t know how politics is affecting them.”

Gabe Apodaca, student and field coordinator for the Committee to Elect Diane Denish for Governor, said he wants students to get involved because there is no student representation in policy making.

“There are too many policies that are being implemented without any student input, which is sad to say,” he said.
Apodaca said school taught him the importance of being involved in his community, and he would like to help others become more active.
“Studying at UNM kind of opens your eyes to the issues and teaches you to understand the issues,” he said. “The only way to really make a change is to take part in what is happening politically and socially.”

The Campaign Blue event is designed to get the word out about internships, jobs and volunteer opportunities this summer, Apodaca said.
Campaigns for Democratic candidates running for Congress, governor, lieutenant governor, county sheriff, state treasurer and land commissioner will be offering various opportunities, Apodaca said.

Poss said the event will raise awareness about the June primary and give students the opportunity to meet candidates for various state positions.

“I think a lot of students don’t even know that there is an election coming up, and there needs to be some sort of visibility,” she said.
Poss said students could register to vote at the event and learn about early and absentee voting.

“We need to tell students that there is an opportunity to go and vote, even if it is not a presidential election,” she said.
Melissa Trent, president of the UNM College Democrats, said the Campaign Blue event would give students an opportunity to see if there is a place for them in the political process.

“It gives students a chance to see what the Democratic Party is about and see where they fit in,” she said.

Poss said becoming involved in politics has opened doors for her that she was unaware of before becoming an intern with the DPNM.
“I have learned a lot about being involved in local politics,” she said. “There are ways people can participate that I didn’t even know existed until I got involved with the party.”

The Campaign Blue event will have representatives from more than 13 campaigns and will be giving away free cotton candy and snow cones.