Amy ‘Brutalitaur the Dinosaur’ Robinson is a jammer for the roller derby team, The Ho Bots. There will be a roller derby season opener Friday, May 15, at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

Dames of derby ring in the new season

Roller skates have never been so brutal.

On Saturday, the all-girl roller derby team, Muñecas Muertas, will face off against the Denver Roller Dolls, which are ranked third in the nation.

Savannah Wasko, a member of Muñecas Muertas, said the roller derby league started five years ago. Other roller derby teams from New Mexico include The DoomsDames, The HoBots, D.I.A. and the Taos Whiplashes.

Waskso said her team has been practicing endurance and hitting drills in preparation for the season opener.

“It’s basically a full-contact race between five people, and five people can be on the track at once,” she said. “There are four blockers and one jammer on each team. The jammer is the only person that can score points. And she scores points by passing them. For every opponent blocker that the jammer passes is one point scored.”

Wasko said they are always welcoming new members to their practices.

“We have newbie practices for new players where the veterans will teach the girls that are interested,” she said. “We will teach them how to skate and skills and everything. And then they pass a skills test to be on the league. We have those practices Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays.”

Wasko said there will be an after party at Atomic Cantina.

*
Roller Derby Season Opener
Albuquerque Convention Center
401 2nd Street N.W.
Saturday
5 – 10 p.m.
Tickets: $12
UNM students with an ID get a discount *