President takes off time for tumor

UNM President David Schmidly announced that he would be undergoing medical treatment for a slow-growing abdominal tumor Aug. 18.
He said the tumor, discovered during a routine checkup in May, would need more attention than previously thought.

“The tests I under­went were pro­duc­tive and indi­cated that I would require fur­ther treatment,” he said in a statement.
Schmidly missed several workdays in September 2009 for operations and medical procedures pertaining to an undisclosed illness. Then he missed several days again in May, including the 2010 commencement ceremony, because of the tumor.

Physicians at the UNM Health Sciences Center and UNM Cancer Center have referred him to an out-of-state expert to seek treatment, he said.
Schmidly, who has served as UNM president since October 2007, said he will continue to stay in close touch with UNM administrators while he undergoes treatment.

“Dur­ing my time on sick leave and through­out my recov­ery period, I will remain in full com­mu­ni­ca­tion with the Uni­ver­sity lead­er­ship,” he said.
Paul Roth, exec­u­tive vice pres­i­dent for Health Sci­ences, said Schmidly should be back at full capacity after the treatment.

“The report we received in May was very encour­ag­ing, and I
antic­i­pate a full and rapid recov­ery fol­low­ing this pro­ce­dure for Dr. Schmidly,” he said.