Study abroad won't break the bank

Studying at a prestigious foreign university could cost a UNM student slightly more than regular tuition.

Students interested in taking studying abroad have a chance to learn more about their opportunities to save money but see the world today in the SUB lower level atrium from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

M. Robyn Cote, the Latin American and Iberian Institute manager, said the Study Abroad Fair allows students to discover options regarding studying abroad.

“Students should attend even if they’re just curious about studying in another country,” she said. “There will be informational tables set up, and students can come and go as they please.”

Students wishing to travel to Spain or Latin America can enroll in an intensive language program or an exchange program for the same price as UNM tuition, Cote said.

“The only other costs for students is the extra expenses while living there,” she said.

Cote said the Intensive Language Program can run anywhere from two weeks to a whole semester, and students receiving scholarships or financial aid can apply it toward foreign studies’ costs.

Lauren Fowler-Young, a study abroad adviser with the Office of International Programs and Studies, said the fair will provide students with a lot of information about schools in other countries.

“There are so many other countries students can travel to,” she said.
Amy Cresap, a junior, traveled to Brazil as part of the Intensive Language Program and the exchange program and now has a work-study position at the Latin American and Iberian Institute. She said the language program reduces culture shock associated with being in a different country. Cresap spent a month in Brazil and then spent a semester in the exchange program.
“It was terrifying at first,” she said. “After I got used to it, I really enjoyed seeing and experiencing new things.”