Albuquerque Baths, located on Broadway Boulevard just south of Mountain Road, features four massage rooms, two hot tubs and a dry cedar sauna. The spa strives to be eco-friendly, heating its water solely through solar power.

Spa stresses affordable relaxation

Is college putting a damper on your spirits? Come pamper up here.

The recently opened Albuquerque Baths is a business that offers a new sort of spa experience.
“It’s not just a spa oriented toward the ladies or expensive spa treatments, but an affordable place for everyone to just hang,” said Henry Bruner, who runs the baths with his wife Michelle Collins. “Dudes included.”

Albuquerque Baths combines the couple’s shared enjoyment of the pleasures of soaking in hot springs and Collins’ 22 years of experience as a massage therapist. The European-style community spa idea was inspired by a visit to a household Russian bathhouse in Manhattan.
“It was a really mixed crowd,” Bruner said. “There’s an old man. There’s a college girl — everyone just enjoying the various rooms. We thought, ‘That’s awesome.’”

Because Albuquerque Baths aims to be accessible for all, including busy students, it is open evenings Tuesday through Friday, with longer hours on weekends, as well as by appointment for more privacy and convenience.

Upon entering the baths, guests get a robe, sandals, a locker key and access to all the facilities. Featuring the warm interior design and peaceful exterior landscape gardens, the spa houses many amenities, from a natural wood Finnish sauna, a large hot tub, showers and a cooling pool.

“The atmosphere here makes it easy to relax,” said Taylor Lueras, a UNM graduate student and spa customer.

In addition, Albuquerque Baths helps put the “ahh” in spa by providing massage treatments, which can be beneficial for pain relief and increasing blood circulation, Collins said.

“Massages are stress-releasing. They make your body feel better. They loosen up your muscles,” she said. “They increase your sense of well-being and go well with soaking.”

While working to keep the body healthy, Albuquerque Baths also works to keep the planet healthy through its brand-new, eco-friendly building, which was designed by the local architecture firm Modulus Design. Its other projects include Nob Hill Bar and Grill and Hotel Andaluz.
The building features green materials, a natural lighting clerestory that reduces electricity fees, and special parking for carpooling and hybrid vehicles.

Having just started out, Collins said the spa is still a small operation but is growing quickly with plans for addition. She said she is looking to add more amenities, and future projects include a steam room, a snack bar and private tubs.