UNM says dorm demolition cheaper

The future does not look bright for Santa Ana Hall.

As part of a two-phase plan, the University will demolish the 172-student dorm to make room for two construction projects that will add nearly 1,000 student beds to the main campus by fall 2012, said Kim Murphy, director of Real Estate Operations.

Murphy said that Santa Ana is more than 50 years old, small and requires improvements that could cost more than new construction. He said American Campus Communities, the same private company constructing Lobo Village dorms, will pay for the demolition and the cost of the dormitories. A demolition date hasn’t been set.

UNM spokesperson Karen Wentworth said the project’s second phase will begin in the next five years, with plans to potentially replace Oñate and Alvarado halls. She said ACC will likely unveil a preliminary look at the dorms in December.

“They are hoping that whenever Lobo Village is complete, it will ease the pressure off of housing, once construction begins,” she said.
Walter Miller, associate vice president of student affairs, said the projects encourage on-campus living, and students typically perform better academically in that setting. He said UNM is working out financial terms for the Central Campus project.
“When we’ve looked at a national modeling of success for students, having that residential living experience adds very much positive to their academic success and graduation, because it really helps build community and connect to the institution,” he said. “And you don’t get that part of the experience either by commuting or living at home.”