‘Always-fresh cabaret’ available for limited time

“The Reptilian Lounge” is simply the best on-going theater event in town.

It’s also unique.
The lounge has been around since 1996, serving as a rotating, always-fresh, always-hysterical, late-night cabaret.

Everything is within the realm of possibility at the lounge. Belly dancing, stand-up, original sketches, live music, maybe a little burlesque — the list goes on and on. Add beer on tap (and various other drinks) from the local Tractor Brewing Company, and the resulting “Awesome!” is pretty clear.

The crowd is filled with people familiar with the bawdy, interactive formula, and the wit and ease of the emcees brings the newbie right into the heart. It’s like watching an old-school Shakespeare play, hanging with the groundlings — and without the pretension.

The Filling Station on south Fourth Street hosts the event. It’s best to come early. The venue is small, and people will stand in line. Many are turned away. But it is worth every second in the cold.

The show is cheap — it costs $7.77. The purpose of the curious, uneven price is the plastic cup holding your change. Between acts, you’re visited by Target Girl, a shimmying, sexy mark for your coins and tip for whatever performance you just saw.
You’ll drink socials with the audience and performers and listen to a live band, maybe with their No. 1 fan.

Every time the lounge is revived, it brings hilarious content and a special kind of humanity. It’s like a party, a performance and an inside joke you’ve always wanted to be a part of all in one.
This new lounge is no different. With the Revolutions International Theatre Festival going on, it’s the best way for out-of-towners to get a real appreciation of how Albuquerque can laugh, perform and entertain.

And the Reptilian Lounge is just scratching the surface.
It’s so haphazard and messy that it’s impossible not to love. You’ll want to keep coming back to see the elements you miss and love everything that’s new and stupefying.

You’ll shout and laugh and drink and cheer. The women are beautiful, the beer is delicious and the laughs are numerous.