D-line surges in scrimmage

One week removed from absorbing a punch to its ego, UNM football’s defensive squad returned the favor Saturday at University Stadium.

The defense baited quarterback Tarean Austin into an interception and a fumble on the first two drives, and the offense didn’t score until 30 plays in. Austin, who went 4-of-5 for 39 yards, injured his lower back on an option run and only participated in 13 plays in the Lobos’ second spring scrimmage, but head coach Mike Locksley said Austin should be ready to play in next week’s Cherry-Silver scrimmage.

Linebacker Carmen Messina, who had six tackles, said he and his teammates didn’t hold back.

“We were thinking about what they did to us last time,” he said. “It was time for payback. … We wait all week for them to put those red jerseys on. We’re not going to be careful for anybody.”

Locksley said both squads were efficient, but he was encouraged to see the defense play with season-like intensity.

“(That was) probably the best practice we’ve had under my tenure,” he said.

The ground attack ran at a usual pace. Kasey Carrier rushed for 101 yards on 22 carries and scored four touchdowns. James Wright had 83 yards on 16 carries, and converted running back DeMarcus Rogers continued to have a stellar spring. He rushed 19 times for 65 yards and three scores.

“I thought consistently we were running the ball the way we need to,” Locksley said.

With Austin limited by injury, Stump Godfrey and freshman Dustin Walton took the majority of snaps under center.

The windy environment made for especially tough passing circumstances, and Godfrey completed only 7-of-20 passes for 66 yards, but had two touchdowns. He ran 17 times for 63 yards and found the end zone once.
Walton didn’t fare as well, going 5-of-8 for 33 yards, and he fumbled four snaps, one which linebacker Joe Stoner returned 33 yards for a touchdown.

Godfrey said it’s important that the defense get its swagger before fall rolls around.

“They came out and they got better today,” he said. “They learned from their mistakes, and they came out, gave us their all, and they fought hard. … We need them to come up and play like that every day. We need them to do that game-time, and I’m sure they will.”