Warehouse 508 mixes art, sports

An unusual combination of boards and brushes dominated Warehouse 508’s Extreme Art Show.

The youth-driven organization focuses on art (visual, music and writing) and nontraditional sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing and rock-climbing. Generally, students are 12-20 years old.

“I really don’t know of other places that combine sports and art like we do,” said Eddie Vargas, NMX’s director of sports. “It’s usually one of the other. Some parents push their kids to be very artistic, and other push their kids to be in sports. We try to get that crossover.”

Going through the work for the show, I could not keep my eyes off of one piece called “Newspaper Hat.” Artist Josh Stuyvesant attached a skateboard to a canvas and, using stenciling techniques, painted a boy with a long, straight zipper for a mouth. It’s all purple and yellow and black, and I hope no one wins it in the silent auction because I want it for myself.

“The art show evolved from painting on skateboard decks,” Vargas said. “We’re handing out skis, helmets, bike sprockets, and for us, it’s just such a great event because it highlights both sides of our programming, which is our nontraditional sports and our creative art side.”

They teach computer skills, photography, filming and music.

“It’s a great way for us to showcase everything our organization does,” Vargas said. “We’re going to have the art show hung up and we’ll have snacks and stuff going on and live bands and live poetry and capoeira performances and break-dance performances.”

The space itself really is a huge warehouse, with skate ramps and a stage inside, where, on July 21, there were almost 10 kids rocking out with guitars and drums and vocal mics. It was Rockstar 101, one of the warehouse’s many classes. They learn instrumental and cover songs, said Jacqueline Vigil, director of creative arts and Warehouse 508.

“And in 201, you develop skills of writing your own music, mixing your own beats,” she said. “Third semester is in the studio, recording.”

You can register for the programs on Warehouse508.org. The summer programs are free.

Extreme Art Show
Warehouse 508
508 First St. N.W.
July 29
6-9 p.m.
Free