The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo knows you are broke — we all are. So we gathered up some events and random deals that might help you save some change for those pricey books you have to buy. The good news is that this is Welcome Back Week so there will be organizations throwing free information, food and drinks at you, so watch out! If you have a free event you want us to know about, send your idea to hriley@unm.edu.

Rio Rancho
Free Concert
Sunday

The Rio Rancho Symphonic Bands plays at Haynes Park on Sunday.
The park will also have booths for vendors of New Mexican artsy things like photos, jewelry, paintings, sculptures etc. Yes, those cost money, but no one said you had to buy anything. The park is at 2006 Grande Boulevard in Rio Rancho, across from Intel.

Old Town,
New Fun,
Wildcard Wednesdays
Wednesday

This sounds pretty intriguing, and it’s described on the cabq.gov site as a variety show of live music. This week the featured artists are Terry Clements and Chava & Paid My Dues band. Terry Clements, based on internet searches, seems to be an especially strong songwriter/storyteller who captures and reflects raw emotion into his songs. Chava & Paid My Dues band is a trio mixed with guitars, vocals and percussion. Descriptions have them pegged them as a band that plays a little bit of everything from Funk, R&B to Cumbia.
Catch Wildcard Wednesdays at the Old Town Gazebo.

Welcome
Back Days
Today thru Friday

Free food and beverages are passed out every day, but supplies are limited, so you might want to step out of your lunchtime class a little bit early to make sure you are the lucky one with a full belly and wallet. Today is watermelon, which is cool and refreshing, but Wednesday is the day you want to make sure to hit up the free lunch because it is Green Chili Stew. For free. You can get free hot dogs and Pepsi on Wednesday. Thursday will be pizza and Pepsi, and Friday is back to hot dogs. And, most importantly, all of this food will be dished out at the Duck Pond starting at 11:50 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. or until it runs out, so be hasty.

Free Movie
in the SUB
Today thru Friday

This week it’s time to get your muscles on and go watch “Thor” at the SUB theater. Roger Ebert said on his website that the movie overall was, “… a failure as a movie, but a success as marketing … The failure of ‘Thor’ begins at the story level, with a screenplay that essentially links special effects.” Luckily for you, your brain is tired after reading all those syllabi, so watching a movie made purely for the senses doesn’t sound like such a bad idea. Plus, free movie, so quit your whining.

One Million Bones Saturday

One Million Bones is an art installation/ international awareness event that is kicking off in good ol’ Albuquerque. The awareness part is for people suffering from genocide in Sudan, Burma and Congo. There will be 50,000 bones constructed by various Albuquerque artists, including students. It will be held downtown on Saturday around 10 a.m. (4th Street between Central and Gold avenues). It doesn’t cost anything to be aware, but with all the money you already saved, you can make a small donation if you so choose.

-Hunter Riley