The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo knows you’re broke. Who isn’t these days? We scoured that fancy Internet thing to find some exciting events that costs you exactly $0.00. Even though Welcome Back week is over, it turns out there are still fun free things to do in Albuquerque. If you know of or are hosting a free event in Albuquerque email the info to hriley@unm.edu.

Learn about model trains and volunteer
TUESDAY

So this event actually costs you, but only in time, and you gain that valuable fuzzy feeling inside when you do some type of community service. Also, if your interests include large model trains, this will tickle your fancy and you can meet new friends. The event takes place on Tuesday at the ABQ Bio-Park Botanic Garden (2601 Central Ave. NW).
Interested volunteers can come to the Botanical Gardens from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. The duties entail operating and maintaining the G-scale model train. The catch is that you have to dedicate a minimum of 60 hours per year. But if you think about, it that is only five hours per month. For more info, call 505.848.7172.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts and decorating
WEDNESDAY

Rest your weight-gaining worries for one day this week so you can go to Krispy Kreme for doughnut decorating on Wednesday. The doughnuts are free from 6-8 p.m., and so are the decorations. The Krispy Kreme website advertises free goodie bags for kids, but they don’t define what the cutoff age is, so try and look and act and young as possible. There are two Krispy Kreme locations in Albuquerque: 2270 Wyoming Boulevard NE and 3709 Ellison Road NW.

landlord/tenant workshop
THURSDAY

This is important, so pay attention if you are renting a house or apartment. Students lose money all the time because they either didn’t understand their tenant rights or their tenant rights were abused by landlords who know most students are too busy studying (wink, wink) to read all the fine print in their rental application. This is a free tenant/landlord workshop hosted by the State Bar Association, and is on Thursday from 5:30–7:30 p.m. The State Bar Association is at 5121 Masthead Street NE.

Latin Friday
FRIDAY

This could be a two-for-one, if you are taking a Spanish class this semester. Mark your calendar for Latin Friday at the Old Town Gazebo. The band this week is Los Tropicales, who will play from 6-8 p.m. Come prepared to shake your hips a little bit, and maybe you can convince your Spanish teacher to give you extra credit if you post a video of your sexy latin dance on YouTube.

Balloon Museum admission
SUNDAY

Come one, come all, and beef up on your balloon trivia. There is probably nothing worse than when someone asks you how old the balloon fiesta is and you can’t say for sure. Well, put your worries aside because the Balloon Museum will offer free admission on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The museum is at 9201 Balloon Museum Dr, NE.

-Hunter Riley