The Weekly Free

The charm of college has worn off and now you are eyeballs deep in homework. Well, the Daily Lobo wants you to rest your eyeballs for a couple hours and go do something that is fun and free. We found events, coupons and other random free things, and compiled a list to create the Weekly Free. If you know of or have an event which you want to put in the Weekly Free, email the event info to hriley@unm.edu.

The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
WEDNESDAY

The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History has a myriad exhibits to show off to those of you who feel the urge to immerse yourself in the rich history and culture of New Mexico. Some of the exhibits right now include a celebration of Albuquerque in and around the year 1912 (that’s when New Mexico became a state). Another exhibit at the museum is called “Albuquerque’s New Town,” which highlights events from post-civil war New Mexico until the pinnacle of Route 66. The museum is on 2000 Mountain Road N.W.

The UNM Observatory
FRIDAY

This one is good for all of you looking for a romantic date because what could be more romantic than looking at large quantities of gas that are very, very far away? Every Friday during the fall and spring semester the UNM observatory offers free entry to the public and you, hypothetical UNM student. Take advantage of it, and who knows, it might spark your life-long interest in space gas. Before you go, call 277-2616 to make sure the observatory is open. The observatory is on 1919 Lomas Blvd. NE.

Folk Art Festival and Giant Puppet Parade
SUNDAY
If giant puppets don’t intrigue you, you might have a fear of giant puppets. This folk art market and giant-puppet samba parade will be held in Robinson Park (Eighth Street and Central Avenue) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It features local art and general craftiness by New Mexican artists, live music and a samba parade. OFFCenter Community Arts Project is hosting the event.

FROM CRAIGSLIST

The wonderful website Craigslist strikes again with some great freebies. All of the following items were posted on the website as of 5 p.m., Monday: for all the sexy time you may or may not be having, there is a free micro-fiber love seat. The listing only said “Cats, Dogs, Kids… But would be fine with a cleaning or a cover.” The listing said it is in Northeast Albuquerque just waiting to be picked up. Another item of interest on Craigslist was a 40-gallon aquarium. The ad said it is in fine shape and does not leak, but whoever comes to claim it will also be the proud new owner of the few remaining fish. The ad says the aquarium is in the UNM area.

Chili’s Appetizer
GENERAL
The only price you have to pay for this deal is getting one more piece of junk mail in your inbox. But that junk mail may, in turn, get you more free stuff. To take advantage of this deal go to chilis.com and click on the email club link.

-Hunter Riley