The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo wants you to enjoy the last remaining days of the heat we have grown to detest by doing something fun for you, and for your wallet. After a search on the good old Internet, we have compiled a list of free events that you can check out. If you know of a free event, email hriley@unm.edu

NATIONAL YOGA MONTH

This is a sweet deal that anyone with a couple extra pounds or a lot of extra stress should take advantage of. In celebration of National Yoga month, several yoga studios in Albuquerque are giving away one free week of yoga classes to new members. You can take advantage of this deal by visiting yogamonth.org, where you can receive your Yoga Month Card and find all the participating yoga studios.

“Suenos Urbanos”
TUESDAY-SUNDAY

The exhibit is called “Sueños Urbanos (Urban Dreams),” and it documents the migration of Aymara peasants from the less populated rural areas of Bolivia to the ultra-urban La Paz. Photographer Jerome Crowder attempts to capture the difference in lifestyles and how, for some Bolivians, the transition can be painful due to the loss of a tight-knit village on which they depend. The exhibit is in the History and Literary Arts building of the National Hispanic Cultural Center. The NHCC is at 1701 4th St S.W.

“GATHER YOUR BEARINGS”
WEDNESDAY

REI is hosting a free basic GPS (Global Positioning System) workshop, which will include information on the basic functions of a GPS unit. You will also learn about waypoints, waypoint navigation and using coordinates. The workshop has a 25-person limit, and as of Monday at 5 p.m. there were 8 positions left. If you are interested, you can register online at rei.com. The course is from 6 – 8 p.m. REI is at 1550 Mercantile Ave N.E.

“GLOBAL FIESTA”
SATURDAY

Unless you live under a rock, or just moved to Albuquerque, you have probably heard of ¡Globalquerque! Well, the actual event of Globalquerque isn’t free, but there is a free global fiesta at the National Hispanic Cultural Center. The fiesta will showcase different music, dance and costumes from all over the world. Other events at the fiesta include instrument-making workshops and lectures, such as one that focuses on celebrating endangered languages.

“ART IN THE PARK”
SUNDAY

Let your creative side shine this weekend and go to La Entrada Park, in front of the Corrales Library (84 W. La Entrada Rd). The gathering includes oodles of local artists of myriad mediums from sculpture to painting. Also included in the Art in the Park event is a youth tent, where local artists teach kids how to create art on different media.

-Hunter Riley