The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo knows you are just counting the days until fall break (23). We also know you are counting pennies to save up for that long weekend getaway you want to take. The Daily Lobo has compiled a list of free events that will still allow you to have fun while saving for your holiday adventure. If you know of a free event, send the information to hriley@unm.edu.

“Fresco Tour”
SUNDAY

Artist Frederico Vigil has managed to cram 3000 years of Hispanic history into a 4,000-foot concave fresco he painted at the National Hispanic Cultural Center. It took him about 10 years to finish this mural and it was unveiled last year. The NHCC is at 1701 4th Street S.W.

“Life-Size Chess”
FRIDAY

Join Albuquerque poets and performers as they construct a massive, live chess game on Civic Plaza for 100 Thousand Poets for Change. Participants will read works about issues of all sorts and the changes required to solve them. According to freealbuquerque.com the event hopes to promote change in legislation through the visual metaphor. Civic Plaza is at Third Street N.W. and Marquette Avenue N.W. The event begins at 6 p.m.

“Open House about Social Change”
SATURDAY

Acequia Booksellers invites you into its store for a night of listening, so bring your good ears. The night will feature recordings from songwriters, poets and social activists from the 30s. The recordings are from people such as Noam Chomsky and Woody Guthrie. The Acequia Booksellers is on 4019 4th St. N.W. and the event starts at 10:20 a.m.

“Salsa Fiesta”
SATURDAY

Join the festivities for the annual Old Town Salsa Fiesta. For its seventh year, the fiesta hosts Latin bands such as Encuentro and Quemozo. The festival also boasts a homemade salsa contest with 41 entries; the downside is the four-dollar entry fee to taste salsas and vote, but that’s basically free, right? The final event for the night is a performance by the Grammy-winning Spanish Harlem Orchestra. The event starts at 1 p.m. at 200 North Plaza N.W.

Craigslist

Oh, the wonderful things that Craigslist has to offer! This week some of the better free listings include a plexiglass tank, and chickens and green chile. The plexiglass tank, according to the ad, is six feet by four feet and holds water. The title for the latter ad reads “Green Chile Chicken Soup,” but upon clicking the truth is revealed: The person posting the ad said he/she has three older egg-laying hens to give away to a good home. Bonus item: free green chile.

-Hunter Riley