A glimpse at US presidents

Editor’s Note: Today is Presidents’ Day and, in honor of the former leaders, the Daily Lobo compiled a list of notable presidents. Enjoy.

George Washington: (1789-1797) No party. Washington led the United States as a general during the Revolutionary War and later became the first president of America.

Thomas Jefferson: (1801-1809) Democratic-Republican party. Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence.

James Madison: (1809-1817) Democratic-Republican party. He is remembered as “the Father of the Constitution.” He waged the War of 1812 against Great Britain, during which the White House, the Capitol and the Navy Yard in Washington were burned.

Andrew Jackson: (1829-1837) Democratic party. He relocated most Indian tribes from the Southeast to west of the Mississippi River after the Black Hawk War against the Native Americans.

Abraham Lincoln: (1861-1865) Republican party. He gave the Gettysburg Address and signed the Emancipation Proclamation. He also ended the American Civil War. He was assassinated in 1865, six days after the war ended.

Theodore Roosevelt:
(1901-1909): Republican party. He championed anti-trust legislation to eliminate business monopolies,a nd received the 1906 Nobel Peace Price for his intervention in Russian and Japanese War. He finished a speech following an assassination attempt.

Woodrow Wilson: (1913-1921): Democratic Party. He negotiated the peace treaties of the WWI, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Price in 1919.

Franklin D. Roosevelt: (1933-1945): Democratic party. He was the only president elected for four terms, and he led the country during the Great Depression and WWII.

John F. Kennedy: (1961-1963): Democratic party. He led the country during the Civil Rights movement, and he was the only president to win a Pulitzer price for the book Profiles in Courage. He was asassinated during the third year of his term.

Richard Nixon: (1969-1974): Republican party. He resigned office following the Watergate scandal. He ended U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War in 1973.

Ronald Reagan: (1981-1989): Republican party. He promoted “Reagonomics,” policies to reduce tax rates to reduce inflation and government spending, and ended the Cold War with the Soviet Union.

George W. Bush: (2001-2009): Republican party. He faced the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and led wars against Iraq and Afghanistan.

Barack Obama: (2009-present): Democratic party. He is the first African-American to hold the office. He was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaida was killed during his term.