softball.jpg

UNM softball catchers practice at the Lobo Softball Complex on Jan. 20. The Lobos open the season in Tempe, Ariz., today.

Women hope to hit MWC season out of the park

The softball team is ready to slug the MWC and slide into the postseason.

The Lobos are coming off a 19-26 season with head coach Erica Beach, who is returning for her second year leading UNM, but have hopes to finish with a national championship.

“Our goal, especially for this season, is to finish 500 and compete for a conference championship,” Beach said. “In the end, we want to win a national championship. Every day, we do things to step toward that.”

Junior pitcher Kaela DeBroeck is returning from a year in which she was named an All-America Scholar Athlete by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association. She said she wants to continue to have that kind of success this season.

“I want to pick up where we left off last year. I want to come out with the confidence that I can do what I do and take it to great levels,” she said.

The Lobos are picked to finish fourth in the preseason MWC poll, behind conference newcomer Boise State, UNLV and conference favorite San Diego State.

Beach said she is also expecting a lot this year from DeBroeck.
“We’re expecting her to take the lead in the circle for us and be a consistent force for us out there,” she said. “The team really enjoys playing around her.”

DeBroeck said she is the most excited about the season opener against the University of Oregon.

“Personally, I’m the most excited about Oregon because I have a lot of old teammates that play on the team,” she said.

The team is also returning senior catcher Jessica Garcia, who led the Mountain West last year in slugging percentage, doubles and total bases. Beach said she is a player to look out for this season.

“Jessica Garcia was our leading hitter last year, and we’re expecting her to lead us in hitting and behind the plate,” she said. “She’s someone the girls really look up to, on and off the field. She’s someone I would keep an eye on because she is a fantastic athlete.”

The Lobos are also returning short-stop Jordyn Bledsoe, who missed all of last season with a knee injury.

“I’m hoping that Jordyn can make an impact and lead us in the infield,” Beach said.

Just before the team starts taking on its conference opponents, they will travel to Austin to play three games against the University of Texas. Beach said she is excited about these games.
“I’m really looking forward to playing at the University of Texas because all of our games will be aired on the Longhorn Network, so we’re going to have the chance to be on TV,” she said. “I think it will be a really fun weekend for the Lobos.”

Softball vs Oregon
Friday, 6:30 p.m.
Tempe, ARIZ.