Astronaut visits UNM, urges passion for science

A former astronaut came to UNM to pitch the benefits of jobs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
Retired NASA astronaut Danny Olivas was chosen to be an astronaut in 1998 and is one of 13 Hispanics who have participated in NASA’s astronaut program.

Olivas encouraged students to maintain passion as they pursue their careers in various fields, but especially careers in STEM fields.

“Passion has to be deeply seated,” he said. “Look inside yourself. Find what passions you have. Work hard to better your skills and talents.”

Olivas was a crew member in the STS-117 Atlantis and STS-128 Discovery missions. According to the NASA website, both missions included taking supplies to the International Space Station.

UNM’s Engineering Student Services, Ball Aerospace and Technologies Corporation, the Hispanic College Fund and others hosted the NASA Awareness Day on Friday at the Centennial Engineering Center on campus. Olivas was the keynote speaker.

Marcos Valdez, the director of college student leadership for the Hispanic College Fund, said he wanted to help organize an event that would make students consider careers in the engineering field and at NASA.

“The need for experts in the (STEM) fields is as great as it’s ever been,” he said. “The U.S. is severely lagging in the technological and innovation front in the global context. Thus, we need to inspire students to not only continue on to higher education, but for them to highly consider the STEM fields.”

Olivas said a family trip to Johnson Space Center when he was a boy and seeing the rockets there motivated him to become an astronaut.

“I wanted to be one of those rocket engine parts,” he said. “I wanted to contribute to something bigger.”

Valdez said because of Olivas’ drive and achievements, he is someone students can admire.

“Dr. Olivas has accomplished much in life and serves as an impeccable role model for students of the younger generation,” he said. “His story of perseverance and following his passion sheds light on the opportunities that these students will hopefully explore.”

Olivas said perseverance meant dedicating himself to his studies.
He admitted he had failed some of his classes many times, but he was determined to get good grades. He urged the audience to be focused on the things that are important to them, be flexible because changes happen and be optimistic about the future.

“Passion is not fleeting,” he said. “It is self-sustaining. When you believe it inside yourself, nothing is going to deter you.”