baseball_unm.jpg

Junior pitcher Austin House ducks as freshman third baseman Alex Real throws the ball to first base. The Lobos won the series against the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 3-0.

Pitchers drop Eagles for 7th consecutive win

ecarr50@unm.edu

The Lobos needed a lucky number seven win to smash an old school record, and they got it.

The baseball team won its seventh straight weekend series in a row, a new school record, when it swept Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) during the weekend.

UNM won all three games, 6-3, 12-6 and 2-1.

Head coach Ray Birmingham said the record means a lot to him.
“It’s a big deal,” he said. “What I wanted to do was come in here and raise the level a little bit higher, build some facilities, make a great baseball team, compete with the best teams in the country and take pride in who we are, and we’re doing that.”

The Lobos are on a five-game winning streak, and sophomore third baseman DJ Peterson said he credits the team’s outstanding offense and defense.

“Our pitchers are doing their thing, and the hitters are doing their thing,” he said. “We’re coming together as a team and we have a good team chemistry right now. We’re doing it all right now.”

The Lobos narrowly beat FGCU 2-1 on Sunday, to improve to 22-18. Starting pitcher Gera Sanchez struck out 10 batters and didn’t allow an earned run, bringing his record to 5-1. After struggling a bit last year, Sanchez said he worked hard to improve his pitching.

“I’m in better shape this year,” he said. “I took care of my body more and just worked harder.”

His fellow teammates said they have noticed a change in his game.
“Every outing, he’s done a great job,” Peterson said. “He’s pitching his butt off.”

Birmingham said Sanchez has been doing a good job all season, but is disappointed that the hitters failed to help him on offense.
“We haven’t given him run support on Sundays,” he said. “I’m getting a little furious about it. We have to back him up.”

On Sunday, Sanchez got run support from Peterson. In the seventh inning, he hit a single to bat in senior infielder Kyle Stiner, putting the Lobos ahead by one run.

In the third inning, senior second baseman Ben Woodchick hit a single to bat in Stiner, for the first run of the game.

In the next inning, FGCU second baseman Brandon Bednar scored an unearned run from a throwing error by short stop Alex Allbritton, tying the game at one run apiece.

In the ninth inning, junior pitcher Will Mathis relieved Sanchez.

After walking the first batter, Mathis was yanked in favor of junior pitcher Bobby Mares. He came in and got three outs to seal the win and his first save of the season.

“That’s the best Bobby’s thrown,” Birmingham said. “That’s what he’s capable of doing.”