softball.jpg

Kaela DeBroeck pitches during the game against SDSU on April 22. The Lobos lost the series against the UNLV Rebels 1-2 this weekend.

Lobos lose 6-0 lead, game

tromeros@unm.edu

The softball team let a win slip away on Senior Day.

Head Coach Erica Beach said the loss was a letdown because the Lobos had a 6-0 lead heading into the sixth inning.

“It’s always disappointing, especially when you get such a good lead,” Beach said. “We had a lot of good opportunities to get out of the game.”

The Lobos scored the first run of the game with a home run from senior right fielder Shenise Cox to give them a 1-0 advantage.
In the fourth inning, UNM added another run to make it 2-0. The game turned into a rout for a moment after the Lobos scored four runs in the fifth to give them a 6-0 lead.

The Rebels scored four runs in the sixth inning to cut the lead to two.

In the top of the seventh inning, UNLV tied the game at 6-6 when junior Lobo pitcher Kari Gutierrez gave up an RBI double from Rebel third baseman Jaexie Balilea.

The Lobos (27-22, 2-7) did not score in the bottom of the seventh, sending the game into extra innings. The Rebels took their first lead of the game when right fielder Stefany Valentino singled home second baseman Elena Fata to give the Rebels a 7-6 edge. The Lobos failed to score in their next at-bat to end the game with a loss.

Sophomore shortstop Chelsea Anaya, who went two-for-four at the plate, said the Lobos lost concentration because they weren’t receiving some of the calls from the umpire.

“I think we got too carried away with not getting the calls we should have gotten, and we became a little unfocused,” Anaya said.
Starting pitcher Kaela DeBroeck did not allow a hit until the top of the fifth when Balilea hit a double down the right field line.

DeBroeck pitched five and two-thirds innings, allowed four runs on six hits and walked three batters.

Gutierrez threw two and one-third innings, gave up three runs on three hits and also walked three batters.