Ancient game forges new bonds among old friends

jbrokaw@unm.edu

“The Men of Mah Jongg” is full of some great humor and occasionally resembles a senior-citizen version of Seinfeld, but at its core the play tells a moving story about facing the final chapters of life.

The Adobe Theater’s heartfelt production of “The Men of Mah Jongg,” written and directed by Richard Atkins, is a comic tale of four seniors struggling to deal with the challenges of aging.

“The Men of Mah Jongg” starts slowly by introducing us to Sid, a bitter shut-in who can barely motivate himself to get dressed, let alone leave his New York apartment. Sid’s helpful friend Marvin, who Sid teasingly calls “Mother Teresa,” arrives to clean up, take some laundry and see how his friend is doing. While Sid and Marvin entertainingly exchange jabs and insults, the audience slowly learns that Sid is still hurting from the loss of his wife, Mildred.

Much of “The Men of Mah Jongg” works in this way: Atkins’ characters converse in witty dialogue while the audience gradually recognizes the burdens they struggle with just beneath the surface. It’s a delicate balance, but Atkins strikes it perfectly.

This is mainly thanks to two excellent lead performances from Tim Reardon as Sid and Ray Orley as Marvin. Both actors are adept with the comedy and pathos of their roles, but also possess such chemistry with each other that their friendship feels not only real, but important.

Though it never becomes overly serious or melodramatic, “The Men of Mah Jongg” deftly sneaks up on the audience, making viewers laugh too much to notice their increasing concern for the characters.

In a quirk of fate, Sid receives a DVD in the mail meant for his late wife: an instructional video on how to master the ancient game of Mah Jongg. Sid, having found a way to connect to his wife, seizes on the game and is rejuvenated. He convinces Marvin and their friends Harry and Jerry to play with him. But even as Sid begins to recover, life presents even more challenges for the group.

Of course, “The Men of Mah Jongg” isn’t really about Mah Jongg, but about the four friends who become closer because of the game.

As they openly embrace the game, which some of them first dismissed as being for old ladies, they grow a little wiser and more accepting of each other.

The play portrays the trials of seniority with a refreshing frankness, refusing to either exaggerate or belittle them. The Adobe Theater’s production of “Men of Mah Jongg” brings the play to life with generous wit and depth.

“The Men of Mah Jongg”
by Richard Atkins

The Adobe Theater
9813 Fourth Street N.W.
$15 general admission, $13 students and seniors
June 1 – 24
Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m.
Sundays at 2 p.m.