november

President Charles P. Smith (Matt Heath, left) and Chief of Staff Archer Brown (John Wylie) urge speechwriter Clarice Bernstein (Georgette Reeves) to write a glorious speech that will get the president re-elected in the Vortex Theatre’s production of “November.” The politically driven “November” adds satire to our current political climate.

Comedy’s desperate candidate cavorts in corruption

Theater Review

culture@dailylobo.com

With an impending election, today’s political climate is ripe for satire. Vortex Theatre answers the call with its timely production of David Mamet’s “November.”

Written in 2007, “November” is a darkly funny comedy about a president fighting to win a second term that nobody wants to give to him. Director John Hardman and his cast gives the Vortex production of “November” a blistering pace; the laughs come fast and rarely let up.

Set a few weeks before Election Day, the play takes place entirely in the Oval Office as incumbent President Charles Smith does everything he can to find funds for his faltering re-election campaign. Extortion, blackmail and threats of imprisonment are all on the menu for the unabashedly corrupt president, who insists he “can’t be convicted of a crime, because my vice president … what’s his name? … will just pardon me.” Lines like these are commonplace, as President Smith frequently says things that seem absurd at first, yet are actually uncomfortably plausible. Mamet seems to take special joy in picking apart everything that’s ridiculous in modern American politics. Hardman and his cast have caught on to that spirit, and the fun they have onstage is infectious.

When Mamet first established himself as one of America’s foremost playwrights, his work often explored themes of masculinity, competition, business and bravado. He also has a special talent for capturing the ways that people — especially people in positions of power — bend the rules for their own benefit. So it’s a wonder his plays haven’t directly addressed politics before, and “November” proves he’s ideally suited to the task. 

President Smith is one of Mamet’s finest comic creations, a blustering blowhard who is anything but politically correct and has a penchant for the rapid-fire dialogue that made Mamet famous.

Actor Matt Heath is a dynamo in the role, filled with a nervous, madcap energy that never runs out as he tosses off endless punch lines and zingers with ease. His inept President Smith may not be an especially admirable character, but he’s utterly entertaining. The rest of the Vortex cast is also great, but it’s Heath who has to do the heavy lifting, and he doesn’t disappoint.

John Wylie as Archer Brown is an excellent foil for President Smith as his closest aide, a man who seems to take genuine pleasure in telling the president all the ugly truths he doesn’t want to hear. Heath and Wylie work well together, bouncing jibes, jabs and witty retorts back and forth like professional ping-pong players. 

One of the president’s chief schemes is to extort money from the “National Association of Turkey and Turkey Product Manufacturers,” and Harrison Sim is hilarious as the association’s representative, a seemingly reasonable man until his precious fowl are threatened. Georgette Reeves is also entertaining as President Smith’s lesbian speechwriter. All told, Hardman has assembled a terrific cast, and they achieve the difficult task of making Mamet’s words sing.

As an unapologetic comedy, “November” probably won’t help anyone decide who to vote for. But at a time when politics seem to be everywhere and satire is especially poignant, Mamet’s “November” is a terrific dose of just that. Though the Vortex production finds the climax of its farce just a touch too soon, it’s for the most part a fantastic ride and a welcome distraction.

“November”
by David Mamet
Directed by John Hardman

The Vortex Theatre
2004 ½ Central Ave. S.E.
Runs through Nov. 4

Fridays and Saturdays 7:30 p.m.,
Sundays 2 p.m.
$10 student rush,
$18 general admission,

For reservations, call
(505)-247- 8600 or visit
vortexabq.org