fb2_11-19

Seniors Matt Raymer, left, and Joe Stoner celebrate after Raymer made a tackle against Nevada on Saturday at University Stadium. UNM’s 24 seniors have started a culture change for the Lobos.

2012 seniors take part of change in Lobo football

Davie praises hardworking, resilient seniors

assistantsports@dailylobo.com
@JROppenheim

Throughout the season, first-year UNM head football coach Bob Davie expressed his love for his team. He repeatedly described his pride in how the players continued to fight through tough times.

The 23 seniors of the 2012 team had their share — and possibly more — of adversity during their playing careers at UNM. Those seniors were recognized during Saturday’s home game against Nevada, their last contest at University Stadium.

The third-, fourth- and fifth-year seniors in particular dealt with some of the toughest times in Lobo football history. UNM had three consecutive one-win seasons from 2009-11 and was seldom competitive. Some national media outlets considered the Lobos the worst team in college football and it was hard to argue against that.

Several players transferred when Davie was hired. Quarterback B.R. Holbrook was the only returning signal-caller at the season’s start, and he hasn’t played since he separated his shoulder on Oct. 27 against Fresno State.

A whole new coaching staff brought different schemes, such as moving from a pass-heavy spread offense to a run-oriented option attack. An attitude focused on discipline was instituted to establish a new Lobo culture. The team embraced these changes, and it has shown on the field.

“Attitude, energy, focus — I could not be more happy. I love these guys,” Davie said. “I told the parents before the game with all the seniors up there, these kids were raised right because they play their butt off and they’ve been through a lot.”

UNM won four games this year but has lost its five most recent contests. The Lobos’ 4-8 mark isn’t a good record by most standards, but it’s better than three wins in three years. Despite blowouts to Texas, Texas Tech and UNLV, the Lobos have at least been competitive. Of the eight losses, only four have been by more than two touchdowns.

The Lobos boast a strong rushing attack that is ranked No. 5 in the nation. They set a school record on Saturday with ten 300-yard rushing games, of which nine were consecutive.

“It’s moving in the right direction,” senior tight end Lucas Reed said. “It’s night and day compared to last year. We’ve made a lot of big steps. We’re bringing pride back to the program. We’re bringing hope back to the players. You want to go back on the field Monday and you want to try your hardest.”

On defense, senior cornerback Destry Berry sacked Nevada quarterback Cody Fajardo after a handoff miscue in the backfield.

It was the 20th sack of the season, twice as many as in 2011, with one game still remaining.

“The discipline he (Davie) brings back to the team, the hard work, the tenacity — he brings a lot of things to the table,” senior defensive back Freddy Young said. “Just walking into the locker room, you can feel the difference.”

Heading into Saturday’s game, UNM led the nation in average time of possession (34 minutes and 37 seconds per game), was ranked 15th in fewest penalty yards (37.4 per game), 16th in turnover margin (plus-0.91 per game) and tied for 14th in turnovers forced (23).

UNM also snapped a three-year losing streak to its in-state rival, New Mexico State.

While it may not have translated into even more wins, improvement is evident.

“Obviously with a new staff and new coaches, there are going to be growing pains. From where this program was to where we are now, it’s day and night,” Holbrook said. “I know once these guys get familiar with the offense and defense, and continue to grow in the system, those leaps and bounds will be even greater.”