vb_11-19

Freshman outside hitter Alijah Gunsaulus, front, and her teammates listen to head coach Jeff Nelson in the locker room after losing to San Diego State 3-0 on Saturday. The Lobos have lost six of their past eight games.

Lovato’s illness costs Lobos against SDSU

@cnaranjo7

Illnesses and injuries have been the theme for the UNM volleyball team all season. On Saturday, the trend continued with a 3-0 loss to San Diego State.

UNM lost 24-26 in the first set and 27-29 in the second set.

Junior libero Miquella Lovato had 14 digs in the first two sets, but left the match before the third set because of food poisoning. Without Lovato in the lineup, the Aztecs demolished the Lobos 25-16 in the third and final set.

Head coach Jeff Nelson said Lovato’s absence in the final game left New Mexico struggling to find a rhythm in offense.

“It had a huge impact. We went from passing well the first two games to struggling to stay in our system,” Nelson said.

Entering the season, Nelson compiled a roster of 13 players, but by the time the third set began on Saturday, injuries had narrowed the rotation down to only eight players.

Senior setter Jordan Russell said she and the rest of the team have learned to be resilient.

“No excuses. It’s been a long season of people getting hurt and sick,” she said. “We have two more games and we have to push through to see what happens.”

Nelson said the Lobos’ (20-11, 7-7 MWC) lack of experience played a large part in the Aztecs’ control of crucial situations.

“Something with San Diego State that we just lack the drive to put them away. We don’t seem to get on top of them. We’re basically a freshman team and they’re a junior and senior team, so maybe that’s what it is,” Nelson said. “It’s certainly disappointing.”

Sophomore Chantale Riddle dominated offense with 14 kills, a game-high for both teams.

UNM’s last two games will be against Wyoming (19-11, 6-8 MWC) on Wednesday and against Colorado State (19-7, 11-3 MWC) on Friday.

Saturday was also the final home game for Russell and junior outside hitter Ashley Newman. At the end of the season, Russell will graduate and Newman will leave the program to devote more time to pursuing a medical degree.

Newman tore her ACL on Oct. 23 and is out for the remainder of the year. Russell, who finished the day with 15 assists and a serving ace, joined New Mexico as a walk-on and eventually earned a scholarship in her final season.

Nelson said Russell, a native of Stanley, N.M., and Newman made a profound impact on leadership and that he was thankful for both players’ contributions the past few seasons.

“Russell’s been a great member of the team and a great person. She’s a local person who has done well here,” Nelson said. “I’m happy for both of them and a great opportunity to honor both of them.”