The Weekly Free

Bang! Pow! Biff! This weekend is the much-lauded Albuquerque Comic Expo, where you can meet dozens of celebrities among throngs of fans, all looking for ways to spend their money on the latest nerd memorabilia. Here at the Weekly Free, we want to rescue you from such a fate, or at least make the credit card bill sting less when the statement with all your ACE purchases hits your inbox. Freedom fighters, assemble!

Monday
David the Disarmer

David Culp, lobbyist for the Friends Committee on National Legislation, will host a talk detailing ongoing efforts to halt nuclear development programs. “Counting the Costs of Opportunities Lost” takes place Monday at 7 p.m. at the Albuquerque Friends Meeting House at 1600 Fifth St. N.W. With the ongoing Waste Isolation Pilot Plant debate, this topic hits closer to home than you might think. Come for the light refreshments, stay for the citizen action.

Monday & Thursday
The Paragon of Peace

Amma the “Hugging Saint,” a real humanitarian hero from India with the power of caring, arrives in Albuquerque as part of a tour that brings her inspirational message across the globe. Her message is love, selflessness and equality … how could you not rally behind that? Come meet this venerable emissary of peace at the Marriott Pyramid (5151 San Francisco Road N.E.) during the morning session, beginning at 10 a.m., or in the evening session, starting at 7:30 p.m. on Monday and Thursday.

Saturday
The Heart-Smart Civilian

As part of Project Heart Start Day, Johnson Center will host three workshops to help everyday people prepare for situations involving cardiac arrest. Be a part of the growing number of everyday people that can respond in emergencies with CPR. You’ll also learn how to recognize heart attack symptoms, operate a defibrillator and save choking victims. Be the hero you want to see in the world. Workshops are in the Center’s South Gym at 8 a.m., 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.

Sunday
The American Way

In honor of World Refugee Day, the American Red Cross hosts a free screening of documentary “Rain in a Dry Land,” which chronicles the journey and cultural adjustment of two Somali families as they settle in the United States. A reception follows the film, which screens at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the Guild Cinema, 3405 Central Ave. N.E. An RSVP, however, is requested, the details of which can be found at guildcinema.com/specialevents.

Sunday
Filmmaker Extraordinaire

“How to be GREAT at 48!” is a panel hosted by acclaimed local filmmakers detailing tips and tricks for making an awesome two-day short film for the upcoming 48-Hour Film Festival. Awe your audience after you’ve learned how to employ the best practices for condensed moviemaking. The free donation-based event takes place at O’Neill’s Irish Pub (4310 Central Ave. S.E.) on Sunday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.