The Weekly Free

It’s fireworks time. Skyflower season is like Christmas for us cheapies, since there’s no lack of entertainment to be had once the sun goes down on the Fourth. Alas, Independence Day and its barbecue-y goodness comes but once a year … but the Weekly Free is here issue after issue all summer long. So take a break from hot dog shopping to check out this week’s freebies. America, land of the free, indeed.

Freedom from Natural Habitats
Wednesday

There’s something wonderfully ironic about celebrating independence at the zoo, where caged animals roam not-so-freely. Regardless, you can treat yourself to the sights and sounds of fauna Wednesday morning during a livecast of Jackie, Tony and Donnie’s 100.3 The Peak radio show. Admission to the ABQ BioPark Zoo is free while the show runs from 6 to 10 a.m. The zoo is at 903 10th St. N.W.

Freedom from Lame Firecrackers
Thursday

The biggest fireworks show in the state (citation needed) is back this year as part of Albuquerque’s Freedom 4th Festival at the Balloon Fiesta Park. With food, live music, and — of course — more sparkly showers than you can shake a sparkler at, Freedom 4th is a good bet for your fireworks. If you find yourself at 5000 Balloon Fiesta Parkway N.E. between 3 and 10:30 p.m., then you’re all set to experience the festivities — attendance alone is free.

Freedom from Wearable Socks
Saturday

If you’re like me, you never have enough clean socks. If you’re not like me, you might enjoy transforming your crews into something a little more fun. Enter the Sock Puppets workshop at the Downtown Growers’ Market. The young and young-at-heart can join community artists on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon to make and break (in) sock puppets. The locale is Robinson Park on Central Avenue and Eighth Street.

Freedom from Rigid Tours
Saturday

Albuquerque ARTScrawl hosts its first-Saturday-of-the-month tour this Saturday. Log onto artscrawlabq.org and grab a DIY itinerary with locations of galleries in the east mountains and prepare yourself for a day of art edification. Regular business hours are in play, so make sure you keep some time open in the 9 a.m.-to-5 p.m. range. The rest is up to you.

Freedom from Food Ignorance
Sunday

If you eat a square watermelon this Independence Day, you may be consuming a genetically engineered fruit. Not every treated food product is as obviously discernible, however, so check out The Guild’s free screening of The Future of Food this Sunday at noon and learn about the reality of grocery store produce. A raffle follows the documentary screening, held at 3405 Central Ave.N.E.