5/20_Dimestories

Blake Magnusson reads his piece “Consolation” to the Dime Stories group at The Source on Thursday. The Albuquerque chapter of Dime Stories was founded by Merimee Moffitt and Jennifer Simpson three years ago to create a space for writers to share their work.

Writers flock to open mic event

culture@dailylobo.com

When first-time participant Claire Sandrin stood up on the small wooden stage at The Source to read, nobody would have guessed that she wrote her piece “Milk and Bananas” the night before.

Dime Stories, a weekly open mic event for writers, was something Sandrin heard about through a friend and wanted to give a try.

“I’ve been looking for a place to show up and find other writers to share things with,” Sandrin said.

Event co-host Merimee Moffitt said Dime Stories is the only event in Albuquerque that offers prose readings. Moffitt said the event began three years ago, after she and her co-host Jennifer Simpson joined up to create a space for writers to share their work.

She said the idea has been well received and the event never lacks for participants.

“We have a diligent crowd and always a great turnout,” she said.
Simpson and Moffitt record every story. The audience’s nightly favorite is uploaded onto the event website, dimestories.org.

Moffitt said many of the same writers tend to show up, but there are always new faces in the crowd. High school students, college students and adults of all ages filter in and out.

Writers share their personal narratives, memoirs, and fictional pieces. Stories display an array of emotions through the quirky, strange, and heartfelt stories. The cozy yet spacious venue is perfect for gathering around and listening. It’s almost like an outdoor meeting room, except there’s no meeting, simply freelance prose.

Anyone can read his or her work, with one catch: each story must be no more than three minutes long. This can be a challenge for many writers, Simpson said.

“It’s not really a performance, but sometimes being able to read your story well gives you a better chance of having your story featured,” Simpson said.

Albuquerque is the third chapter for Dime Stories, she said. Author Amy Wallen founded the event in San Diego in 2006.
Simpson said that having a place for writers to gather and share work is very rewarding.

“It’s really nice to have a mix of people,” Simpson said.
UNM alum Andy Paquet, a writer with a knack for sharing comedic stories, said he and his wife, Susan are Dime Stories regulars.
“People are very supportive there and it’s a welcoming place,” Andy said.

Dime Stories
Every third Thursday
7 to 9 p.m.
The Source
1111 Carlisle Blvd. S.E.