Communication crucial going into tourney

@Liam_CE

There is no lack of talent on the New Mexico volleyball team, but the lack of communication between players spoils some of that talent.

Despite the team’s not always on the same page, UNM (5-1) is off to a hot start in the young season.

The Lobos enter the Lobo Invitational having won their past four games and with an unblemished record at home. But at times, they have shown some weaknesses in communicating and jelling, having only played six games together with three starting freshmen.

Nevertheless, the Lobos have been able to defeat the majority of their opponents, beating every team except Georgia Tech (3-3) in the first three sets of a match.

Sophomore setter Hannah Johnson received all-tournament recognition at the Sheraton Airport Lobo Classic along with some national attention, ranking in the top 65 for assists/set.

Although the Lobos have started the season well, Johnson said the team still has much to improve on.

“We are still trying to work out little communication errors,” Johnson said. “But our team is meshing really well and as conference rolls along, we are going to be really good.”

Head coach Jeff Nelson sees room for improvement, saying that the Lobos have played both above and below expectations in the two tournaments that they have played.

“They are a great freshmen class and they are putting up great numbers for us already,” Nelson said.

The Lobos will open up the tournament against Townson (3-6)tonight at 7.

Julia Warren, the freshman outside hitter, said she is pleased with the way that the team has been coming along and jelling so early in the season.

“Passing and serving always needs to be consistent,” Warren said. “I think if that remains consistent every game, we will be able to get better and win easier.”

This will be the last tournament against nonconference teams. Nelson said the lack of time makes the approach to tournament play more difficult.

“In these tournaments, you don’t have nearly the preparation time,” Nelson said. “You have to rely on your training, your skills, and what you fall back on.”

The lack of nonconference games won’t hinder the Lobos’ opportunity to play against challenging opponents, according to Nelson.

“The conference is so loaded this year,” he said. “It’s a year where three or four teams might get in postseason from our conference.”

UNM will face Abilene Christian (3-2) for the first time in school history and Northern Arizona (5-1), to wrap up the tournament on Saturday.