The Weekly Free

The best part of Halloween in New Mexico is that it is immediately followed by Day of the Dead celebrations. Two holidays full of candy and costumes, what’s not to love? Check out this week’s list of scary, free events.

Learn about the zombie brain
Wednesday

When something is trying to kill you, the more you know, the better your chances of survival. So join Dr. Russell Morton in room 303 of the Basic Medical Sciences Building for his lecture, “Neurobiology of Zombies.” The presentation begins at 3:15 p.m. The BSMB is located just north of UNM Hospital. All ages.

Party like it’s, well, Halloween
Thursday

Start your Halloween night candy hunt early by attending the Monster Mash Bash at OFFCenter Community Arts Project. The event starts at 6 p.m. There, you can make a mask and sugar skulls, get your face painted or enter the costume contest. OFFCenter is located at 808 Park Ave. S.W. All ages.

Day of the Dead celebration with the deceased
Friday

If you plan to celebrate the Day of the Dead, why not do it in a cemetery? The Artisco Heritage Foundation will be hosting such a celebration at the San Jose de Armijo Cemetery in the South Valley from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Face painting, games, sugar skulls and music will be on the list. The cemetery is located at 2957 Arenal S.W. All ages.

Meet the authors of scary books
Saturday

Authors Darynda Jones and Shea Berkley will be signing copies of their latest novels, “Death, and the Girl He Loves” and “The Fallen Prince,” respectively, at Page One Books. The signing will begin at 3 p.m. Page One is located at 11018 Montgomery N.E. All ages.

Everyone loves a parade
Sunday

Create your best calavera look and head down to the intersection of Centro Familiar and Isleta starting at 2 p.m. for the 2013 Marigold Parade. The four-hour celebration will include awesome locally made floats, music, food and altars. For more information go to muertosymarigolds.com. All ages.