The Weekly Free

This week kicks off the annual celebrations of Dr. Seuss’s birthday. It’s also the week of many very cool annual free events in the area.

Tuesday
Gun violence in focus

Jeffrey W. Swanson, a psychiatry professor from Duke University, will host a lecture on the issues surrounding gun violence and mental illness. During the hour-and-a-half talk, Swanson will address questions on whether mental illness is a major factor in gun violence or whether other factors, like easy access to firearms, are more significant. “The Truth about Gun Violence and Mental Illness” will begin at 6 p.m. in the UNM Domenici Auditorium, located at 1001 Stanford Avenue NE. All ages.

Wednesday
What’s all the jazz about?

Chill to the soothing sounds of the ‘20s during the Jazz Jam Session starting at 7 p.m., hosted at Ben Michael’s, located at 2404 Pueblo Bonito NW. All ages.

Thursday
Free films for all!

The 3rd Annual New Mexico Free Film Festival will be screening a variety of movies all day. Films include “Tapia,” the documentary on New Mexico MMA fighter Johnny Tapia; “Tiger Eyes,” based on a Judy Blume novel; “Same Same But Different,” a film about Vietnam peace veterans, and many more. The festival will run from 8:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. at the UNM Valencia Campus, located at 280 La Entrada in Los Lunas. All ages.

Friday
Draw upon your artistic side

Learn illustration techniques from Nato, an artist who combines ideas from comic books, tattoo art, Japanese animation and video game design. The three-hour class will begin at 5 p.m. at Warehouse 508, located at 508 First Street SW. All ages.

Saturday
Bust out your tomtooklers

Celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday with stories, crafts and refreshments at Bookworks at 10:30 a.m. Attendees are encouraged to dress as their favorite Dr. Seuss characters, but it’s not mandatory for the celebration. Bookworks is located at 4022 Rio Grande Boulevard NW. All ages.

Sunday
Art at APS

It’s time again for Albuquerque Public Schools annual APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit. The event showcases award-winning artwork created by local high school students at EXPO New Mexico between 5 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. EXPO New Mexico is located at 300 San Pedro NE. All ages.