Texanna Martin

Texanna Martin

Five and why: What Lobos love to read

with Texanna Martin

1. “The Giver” by Lois Lowry

“The reason I like this book is because we forget the beauty in life’s choices. In the society for ‘The Giver,’ you’re given your role for the rest of your life. It allows us to be critical of our choices for whatever suits us best in our lives.”

2. “The Art of Racing in the Rain” 
by Garth Stein

“This book, when you read it, is in the perspective of a dog. It’s a story about being loved, companionship and friendship. The main character is a struggling racecar driver. The dog is always there and witnesses the sacrifices and the challenges that the racecar driver goes through. Seeing it through the dog’s eyes, you actually see [life perspectives] through a companion.”

3. “Bless Me, Ultima”

by Rudolfo Anaya

“I like this one because it reminds me that we all face struggles growing up. Children do the best they can to live up to their parents’ expectations even though they have their own identities. (Anaya) did an excellent job highlighting the cultures that are in New Mexico.”

4. “Catch-22” by Joseph Heller

“This goes back to challenging the way you think. You can’t just be a passive reader and expect to get everything out of it. This is a book that I’ve read a couple times. Heller uses the characters to tell the story from different perspectives, so you get more of the story.”

5. “Little Women” 
by Louisa May Alcott

“It really talks about the roles of women. Though each of the women are different, it illustrates how it’s okay for women to be independent, artistic, have families and to basically do whatever they want. Family is really important to me. The way that the March family bands together shows how family is not perfect, but is there for one another. Coming from a family where I’m the middle child of three siblings, this one in particular kind of reminds me of my siblings and me.”

Skylar Griego is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.