UNM midfielder Christopher Wehan races to gain control of the ball during Saturday’s game against Marshall.  The Lobos lost 2-1.

UNM midfielder Christopher Wehan races to gain control of the ball during Saturday’s game against Marshall. The Lobos lost 2-1.

Thundering Herd tramples Lobos

With 31 shots on goal and 15 corner kicks, the Lobos statistically dominated Marshall University, which only recorded seven shots and no corner kicks.

But Marshall proved better where it really counted. The Thundering Herd defeated the Lobos 2-1 on Saturday night, bringing an end to the Lobos’ five-game home winning streak.

“It’s shocking; it’s kind of your worst nightmare,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “You look at yourself as coaches and you think, ‘what could we have done differently?’ The guys created a lot of chances.”

The 31 shots was the highest number for New Mexico in 25 years, and the third-highest in the history of the program.

This season the Lobos have had no problems outshooting their opponents, but when it comes to scoring goals the results have not always been as desired.

“We haven’t been good finishing in the box,” Fishbein said. “When you have 31 shots and 15 corners, you need to score a couple goals. That comes down to guys being calm and putting balls in the net. There’s nothing else you can say.”

The first half of the match was scoreless, but not uneventful.

The Lobos began their attack early when in the sixth minute redshirt junior midfielder Josh Dye snatched a header from a Lobo corner and drove low at the Marshall net. Goalie Bijan Gloston stopped the ball with a sliding leg.

Halfway through the first 45 minutes, redshirt sophomore midfielder Chris Wehan came close to scoring the first goal during a free kick, but the ball hit the post.

UNM continued to pressure the Thundering Herd, but Gloston and his defense held on strong.

The Lobos finally found an opening 17 minutes into the second half, when sophomore midfielder/forward Niko Hansen opened up the scoreboard with what became his fifth goal of the season. He was assisted by senior forward James Rogers and redshirt sophomore defender Chris Gurule.

UNM did not enjoy the lead for long, however. Four minutes later the Thundering Herd’s Daniel Jodah found the equalizer.

UNM desperately shot for a second goal, but it was Marshall that landed the winning strike in the 83rd minute. Trevor Starcher sent a header over Lobo redshirt senior goalie Patrick Poblete to put the ball into the empty net.

Fishbein described the loss as “numbing,” and says his team has no other choice but to recover and come out strong against the next opponent.

He said the Lobos have put themselves in a difficult position where they might have to win the Conference USA tournament to make the NCAA tournament. He says he still believes his team is capable of doing that.

“We have to recover,” he said. “We just have to focus on what we do have control over, and that’s winning our next game ... We have every chance.”

The Lobos will face South Carolina on Friday for their regular-season finale.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.