Campus briefs for Nov. 13, 2014

University Student Cabinet  discusses key issues affecting students

The University Student Cabinet met for the first time last Friday. According to UNM, more than 40 Cabinet members participated in focus group-style discussions on subjects identified as critical to students at UNM.

The meeting revolved around four topics: campus safety and civility, transparency and communication, student support services and tuition and fees. Students circulated every 15 minutes between four focus group tables. The student-initiated conversations were directed at UNM administrators, who took notes and answered questions.

Discussions ranged from campus lighting to the future of the Lottery Scholarship, transparency in tuition and fees, campus safety, UNMPD visibility and improving University and student communications.

The idea of the Student Cabinet is to provide UNM’s administration with a forum in which student ideas and concerns can be heard unfiltered.

“There were many views that I realized I could bring back to ASUNM, some of which we’re already working on,” said ASUNM Vice President Jenna Hagengruber. “Having the chance to hear these diverse voices was very beneficial.”

The next meeting is planned for Spring 2015. UNM administrators are reviewing the input gathered and developing preliminary goals to be presented to the Student Cabinet in the spring.

UNM recognized as bike-friendly campus by League of  American Bicyclists.

UNM received a Bronze-level Bicycle Friendly University award from the League of American Bicyclists this year.

According to UNM, bicycling is encouraged as an easy option for transportation. The University provides amenities such bike storage lockers and a bike repair shop on campus. The lockers are convenient and much cheaper than the cost of a UNM parking space.

“Recognition by the League of American Bicyclists is important because it can help inform potential students, faculty and staff of the multiple modes of transportation available to them,” said Alex Andrews, one of the UNM program’s initiators. “Cycling to campus is just one way to enhance their lifestyle while at UNM.”

According to the league’s website, the program evaluates applicants’ efforts to promote bicycling in five primary areas: engineering, encouragement, education, enforcement and evaluation/planning. There are about 80 universities recognized by the League with either platinum, gold, silver or bronze awards.

‘History, Democracy and the  Media in the Southwest’

The 2014 Richard W. Etulain Lecture in Regional History will be hosted by The Center for the Southwest, part of the UNM History Department, on Nov. 20 at 5:30 p.m. in Lobo A and B of the SUB. According to UNM, the event will feature a conversation with former U.S. presidential candidate Sen. Fred Harris, former Oklahoma state senator Rodger Randle and New Mexico Mercury editor and founder V.B. Price on “History, Democracy and the Media in the Southwest.”

The event is free and open to the public. A reception follows the lecture.

For more information call 277-4344 or email cntrsw@unm.edu.

Lobos show their stuff  in talent show

The seventh annual Lobos Got Talent Show is this Friday at 7 p.m. in the SUB Ballroom. According to UNM, the show, hosted by Lobo Village, showcases UNM student talent. This year’s lineup includes live acapella, slam poetry, flamenco guitar, pop, classical, Broadway and R&B.

Prizes are given for first place, second place, third place and Audience Choice.

For more info call 277-4706 or visit sac.unm.edu

Art workshop recognizes  American photographer

The UNM Art Museum is hosting an art workshop on Nov. 15 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. According to UNM, the workshop is based on the work of David Maisel, an American photographer and artist. The workshop is free, all ages are welcome and no reservations are required.

For more info contact Daniel Linver at dlinver@unm.edu.

~Compiled by Erika Eddy