Letter: Simple lives in the US, better lives abroad

If the United States wants fewer immigrants, it needs to work for justice for the millions of poor and working people in other nations. Instead, the U.S. government routinely and deliberately sides with the filthy rich to rob and kill the poor.

Many immigrants flee here from war, persecution and severe poverty caused largely by the U.S. Many immigrants would prefer to stay in their native lands if living conditions there greatly improved.

We USA-ans (to designate people in the U.S., because all people living in North, Central and South America are Americans) need to change, to live simply and fairly in the world family of 7 billion people. We must stop glamorizing U.S. greed, cars and big houses in U.S. movies and magazines, which seduce people abroad to come here and get addicted to the stupid crap most USA-ans are addicted to.

I lived well all of 2013 on $4,882 for my total expenses: rent, food, etc. I enjoy living simply on less than half the U.S. poverty level for me as a single person. I have no right to more than I need while others in this world have less than they need.

I oppose treating immigrants as criminals just because they do not have legal papers. The United States invaded Mexico in 1848 and murdered many people. The United States stole from Mexico most of what is now the U.S. Southwest. I oppose the wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

I support full human rights for all immigrants. All immigrants are my sisters and brothers.

Sincerely,

Don Schrader

Daily Lobo reader